Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy  (Read 2098 times)

Laylabud

Hysterectomy
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »

Hi Ladies

Just need to get your thoughts on the pro's and con's of a hysto?
I have a gyno appointment for tomorrow and given my results of my last trans vaginal ultrasound I am guessing he will suggest that I have one and I am terrified.
I have 4 fibroids, I have a simple cyst on one ovary and multiple cyst on the other one which were not identified during the scan but the CA125 blood test has come back as normal. My urteus is bulky which I guess is down to the fibroids but apparently is also tilting forward and is not uniform in shape, so that's why I am guessing he will suggest a hysto.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Claireylou

Re: Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »

Hi Laylabud,

In March this year I developed abnormal bleeding. Every time is stood up I flooded everywhere (sorry tmi). After an ultrasound, i was told I had a bulky uterus, thickened lining, fibroids, adenomyosis and a tilted uterus. I was also in terrible pain and severely anaemic and after a long discussion with my consultant and DH, I sat down and wrote a pros and cons list. The pro's far outweighed the cons and I had a total hysterectomy with ovaries removed at the end of May on my 46th birthday. As soon as I came round from surgery I knew I'd made the right choice for me. It was keyhole surgery and I only spent one night in hospital and after being discharged I only needed paracetamol for pain relief.

My recovery has been ok. The toughest part was sitting around for 6 weeks while I healed. I do have to have a really small op at the end of this month for a tiny patch of granulation tissue on my vaginal cuff and hopefully I'll be fully discharged after that.

I would say take your time, really think hard about having it done before you make your decision. Look into your other options first if your consultant suggests any, and go from there.

Yes, hysterectomy should be considered only when any other, less drastic, options have been considered but, for me personally, it was the best thing for me and my body.

I hope this helps. Do ask away if you need to xxx  :)

walkingthedog

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »

I have a similar experience to claireylou. I had a total hysterectomy on march 1st and it was the best thing i have ever done. I had key hole robotic assisted surgery and was in one night. As claireylou says the hardest part was the boredom for 6/8 weeks.

Salad

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »

My hysterectomy was the best thing ever - wish I'd done it sooner.  :yes:

walkingthedog

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »

Great to hear others with positive hysterectomy outcomes claireylou and salad xc

Claireylou

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 05:36:09 PM »

Oh it's given me my life back walkingthedog  :)

walkingthedog

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »

Me too. Claire you I'm like a new person no more off the scale pmsl no more two periods a month no more worry over hyperplasia. No more moods all over the place
Best decision ever cc