Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Been to see the doc today...  (Read 2793 times)

Vieja Bruja

Been to see the doc today...
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »

I'm 48 and perimenopausal, with a massive list of ongoing issues.

I saw the doc a couple of months ago and she put me on Fluoxetine to try and reduce the hot flushes and help my sleep issues. I've been back to see the doctor today with a long list of symptoms that started since taking the AD's, plus the fact that the hot flushes are just as bad and my sleep is worse than it ever was as I'm now having vivid dreams and am talking in my sleep all night!

Thanks to this forum I went back much better advised and we had a good chat.  She suggested the Mirena Coil (which I declined) and has now prescribed Elleste Duet 1mg, I've to come off the pill (cerazette) which isn't a big issue and I can wean myself off the AD's this week.

Feeling much better and more positive, fingers crossed I start to feel better soon !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Been to see the doc today...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »

Tnx for the update!

Don't expect a sudden difference as the body needs to adjust.  Let us know how you get on?

dazned

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:54:08 PM »

Thanks for letting us know how you got on.
Can I please make a suggestion.... I would consider perhaps not stopping the ADs at the same time as starting your HRT,only because if you do get any side effects,not saying that you will, you won't really know if it's because of the cessation of ADs or starting the HRT! If that makes sense. ::)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »

Oh good point!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:09:40 PM »

You are getting so many bad side effects from the ADs I would like to suggest you withdraw from The ADs slowly over the next few weeks and only start the HRT once you are weaned off the the ADs. I know you want to feel better quickly but coming off ADs can be tough - I know because I was on a very low dose of an AD for 3 weeks and it took me 6 weeks to feel normal after I stopped them. You need to start any HRT on a clean slate or you will never know if it's helping or not. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »

It depends on the AD - I was able to swap immediately from 1 to another several years ago, however, another had to be weaned off and it took me 9 weeks 'cos I was scared. It wasn't actually the drug that was the problem but my fear that I wouldn't be able to cope with the bounce back and have to re-start it.  In fact, each set of bounce back symptoms lasted 36 hours  ::).  My GP had access to smaller doses than is usually prescribed ;-).

Let us know how you get on.

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies and advice.

The doc told me to reduce the AD's to half my dose for 3 days then stop them altogether, I think because the negatives of the AD's far outweighed the positives she was keen for me to come off them asap.

I'm now AD-free and on day three of HRT and feel so much more positive already !  Hopefully I'll be feeling the benefits very soon.

Thanks again.

Jintyhilton

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »

Vieja , so sad that the first 'go to' from a GP is an AD solution. Just shows how uninformed many of them are (mine was) , it's good that she's suggesting you to wean and more importantly that you are starting to feel better x sounds cheesy but it is 'a journey' and this forum really does help you understand that you are not alone and is really informative in terms of helping to understand what options are out there  x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »

Hope you continue to feel better and better Vieja Bruja! :)

Hurdity x

NorthArm

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »

Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. Hope it all improves for you soon xx

peri

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »

Glad to hear you're getting sorted Vieja Bruja getting the right treatment makes a massive difference x

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »

Thanks everyone - you have been an enormous source of support and reassurance !

I've signed up for an 8-week programme with a personal trainer today, I'm determined to feel feminine and sexy again  :)