Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Dry/painful eyes  (Read 2890 times)

Yammy1

Dry/painful eyes
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:32:57 PM »

Anyone else suffer with very dry painful eyes, I'm actually finding it hard to type as I have to keep blinking and rubbing my eyes. I find it mostly happens in the evening when I sit to watch t.v. I'm fine during the day but it can get extremely painful, usually the right eye Is worse

Annie0710

Re: Dry/painful eyes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »

I've developed nocturnal dry eye.  Eyes feel so gritty in the morning and I have to spend the first 15 minutes of waking trying to keep them open without the discomfort.  There's eye gels available although they didn't work for me

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:38:40 PM »

Thanks Annie, yes they do feel gritty, very uncomfortable, will see if chemist has anything tomorrow

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:48:50 PM »

Yes Yammy, I get this. Not sure what the cause is, unless it's part of everything getting dry at menopause! When we look at any type of screen we blink less, which may be why yours comes on while watching telly. My go-to remedy is Boots own brand Dry Eyes Eye Drops, which contains hyaluronic acid and is preservative free. You can use it every half hour if you need to.

Yammy1

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »

thank you Joaniepat, I will have a look in Boots, It' s very annoying when  your trying to watch a movie and have to keep closing your eyes due to pain. I don't get it all the time but when I do it's really sore

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »

Hi Yammy, I think this is quite common at our age, everything seems to dry up!  I used to use Systane Ultra eye drops but at the beginning of the year I started using coconut oil in my porridge, initially to help my bowels but without realising I found I was not using the eye drops so much.  Now I only use them if my eyes are very tired or irritated.  I know it is the coconut oil because the same happened when I took fish oil supplements but those gave me heartburn and reflux so I stopped.

Perhaps you could try fish oil or coconut oil, see if it helps, otherwise the Systane are very good  :)

Mav196

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:13:25 AM »

Hi
Vidisic Gel in individual ampoules (not the ointment) is excellent - it doesn't contain preservatives. Hylo Forte is another excellent one that is also preservative free....these were recommended to me by my opthamologist for dry eye. They will blur your vision for a few mins because they are quite thick in texture. He told me to use the Vidisic x3 times daily and then use the Hylo Forte (less thicker) as often as needed.
It worked very well
Mav

Snoooze

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »

Hi Yammy, I started with dry eyes years ago when I wore contact lenses but they have got even worse during peri where everything dries up! My eyesight has also deteriorated recently. Optician confirmed I have got very dry eyes and recommended eye drops and also to use a hot compress on eyes for 10 mins.
I get blurry and painful eyes and also often wake up with sticky eye.

Chocolatemilkshake

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »

I find omega 3 tablets help. My optition agrees with me and if I remember to take them I find I don't need to use the gel off the doc as often.  Sorry can't remember the name... visceous  gel rather than drops....

Yammy1

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »

Thank you all, you're so kind, plenty of suggestions. I am also going to use computer and iPad less and see if this helps, it doesn't happen all the time I want to see if there's a connection x

Yammy1

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »

My right eye too sparkle, I will see howit goes regarding pc  and iPad and let you know

Lindyruns

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »

Hello, I also started to suffer this at menopause. The optician told me it's due to the glands just above eyelashes that produce the oily lubricant for the eyes start to become blocked and although drops help sorting out the cause of the problem is more effective. I was recommended heat treatment, use a flannel and hot water for a few minutes and then massage the eyelids sweeping outwards. Even better though is an eye bag which you heat in the microwave, it's also very relaxing! Look at www.eyebags.com there's also a video on the eye massage technique. Try the flannel and hot water first is my suggestion, you do have to keep warming it and it messes your hair but if you find it works then you can buy the eye bag. I bought mine at the Opticians but you can buy online. I also use Thealoz Duo eye drops. Good luck :)