Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Time-line for the MM Magazine and Forum start-up  (Read 5546 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Time-line for the MM Magazine and Forum start-up
« on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »

I need a time-line. I've been around here for several years and it still confuses me as to who 'owns' the idea of MM Forum, is it sponsored and if so by whom, who Moderates to keep threads appropriate to the original question ........

Was the magazine issued initially and followed by a Forum?

How long has the magazine been available to the public?

Why was MM Forum built and by whom?

When was the 1st day of the MM Forum?

Is each Magazine sent to GP Surgeries across the UK?

If so, is there regular feed-back from those Surgeries?

Do GPs get together with Dr Currie for up-dates on a regular basis either on-line or physically at meetings?

How often does Dr Currie attend here to read the queries that are being put?

dazned

Re: Time-line for the MM Magazine and Forum start-up
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »

Interesting questions. I'm relatively new here compared to you and when I first came here/stumbled here I was in a very bad way so never thought of was even interested in these things   ::)
I do get the hard copy magazine though and the articles are quite interesting,very varied from herbal,holistic and all sorts ,I was quite surprised in fact ! And of course loads of adverts for this,that and other which I do understand pays for the production of publication.
I wonder how many of us actually reads/gets the magazine it has a completely different tone than on here at times.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »

Tnx both.  Where do I find more info breeze  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 01:09:02 PM »

At least you remembered to reply to me  ::) - my head is like putty again today  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »

Tnx - you are worth your weight in .........  :whist:

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »

Why move topics ...........  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »

;D ...... but you know me  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 05:01:08 PM »

... and if you want information about the forum, rules and stuff like that - it's here under information for members:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8308.0.html

and also there is the registration agreement here:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2650.15.html

You asked about moderation and it is mentioned here - where it states that it is impossible to monitor all messages and the moderator relies on members to point out anything that is contrary to the rules as per the agreement - eg commercial links or objectionable posts - from time to time:

Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on The Menopause Matters Forum. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of The Menopause Matters Forum. Menopause Matters does not recruit or reimburse any member to post. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately. We have the rights to remove objectionable content if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realise that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy also applies to member profile information.

Hope this also is what you were looking for  ::)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »

Tnx -

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »

So - any answers to my previous queries? 

and what exactly is the difference between a 'moderator' and 'administrator'? 

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »

I can see a history of the site is interesting but not sure why you want to know all of this?  However I love doing research so I had a look around! The answers to some of the questions are easily found on the site!  For example the press archive goes back to Dec 2003 – and at the bottom there is an article from the Dumfries Courier from Feb 2004 where Dr Currie is talking about the website she has developed. Here is an excerpt from it:

WITH such a minefield of information on menopausal treatments, Dr Heather Currie has produced a website, which she regularly up-dates. Increasing numbers have been clicking on in recent months to ease concerns about the controversy surrounding HRT and its links with breast cancer.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/press.php

So it is interesting that the website was started so soon after the HRT controversy following the WHI study in an attempt I presume to provide an informative and balanced view.

I imagine the magazine was started soon after or at the same time and ditto the forum. The first members of the current forum joined in early 2007 but I remember some members talking in the past about the “old forum” and being transferred over (presumably when it was redesigned) so we are talking about a similar time-frame I expect.

The forum and website was built by the Internet Design Shop but Dr Currie is founder and manager so will have determined its structure and content  and written a lot of it.

As to distribution of the magazine – from the magazine micro-site it looks like it's available to purchase in bulk for patients but wouldn't be freely available (because there are costs involved)  – although of course it is eventually available free online.

You asked about education and training (GP updates) – I would have thought it was obvious that the dissemination of information on menopause needed is far more than one person can achieve. The British Menopause Society (of which Dr Currie was the last Chair) has a huge and ongoing programme of education, information and guidance for health professionals – through lectures, conferences, meetings, exhibitions and the website. You can read all about what they do here: https://thebms.org.uk/ (it's a link though....  ::))

In terms of keeping threads on track – why do we need someone to do that? We do that ourselves – although sometimes one gets snarky comments about policing when members suggest a thread is going off topic, or even hint at it! Threads do meander sometimes but the main reason for keeping approx on topic is so that future members reading them can find what they are looking for and searches work – like the filing system mentioned earlier somewhere – but obviously can't be rigidly adhered to – we are human after all!

Can't tell you the answer re mod or admin – but I presume they are interchangeable.  How I see it is that admins do stuff like registration, spambot control and other adminy stuff or are in charge of it all, and moderators look at the posts and threads to keep it all on an even keel and intervene where necessary.

Just my thoughts and searches....I doubt you will get an answer from mods/admins because they are very busy doing just that – amongst other things!!!

Does that help? 

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »

It does - tnx.  People who set up Forums should never be too busy to drop by! 

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »

I have seen Dr Currie's name at the list of who's online from time to time so she does drop in regularly - just doesn't post that's all. In fact she was on here tonight - despite I imagine being extremely busy. Emma is on here most days - except at weekends unless there is emergency  but let's not go there ::)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »

It would nice if Dr Currie made herself known occasionally ........ it is her Forum after all  ::)