Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Best contraceptive pill for mood  (Read 1834 times)

peri

Best contraceptive pill for mood
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:06:40 PM »

Hi all

I'm wanting advice on the best contraceptive pill for mood, for my daughter.  She hasn't been feeling well for a while (flat mood, low energy, run down) and I'm convinced it's the pill she's on.  She's on cerazette (progesterone only pill) and given that I struggle with progesterone I fear that this is the problem and she's taking after me.

Would love some advice/feedback from others who have overcome this issue (I personally could never tolerate the pill).  Thanks in advance x

Annie0710

Re: Best contraceptive pill for mood
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »

When I was 16 I was put on ovran30, sent me doo pally so they switched me to Trinordial, it had 3 different strengths for each week and I felt great.  I always went back to Trinordial after each birth

peri

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:20 AM »

Thanks for that Annie, but when I googled it it said no longer prescribed, do you know if that's accurate?x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »

Hi peri - sorry to hear about your daughter. I don't know much about CCP types but I seem to remember reading that Cerazette controls the cycle to prevent ovulation and depresses oestrogen levels so I can imagine that not being much fun when you are young! My daughter used to take Yaz - which contains drospirenone, one of the newer progestogens with fewer side effects, although she now used the coil (IUD not Mirena) - not sure why she stopped? I couldn't tolerate the Pill either.

Hurdity x

peri

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I'll suggest it to her.  I also think the IUD is a good option.  Either way at 25 she's too young to be feeling like this ... honestly the perils of being female x

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »

Thanks for that Annie, but when I googled it it said no longer prescribed, do you know if that's accurate?x

It was a long time ago Peri but what I was meaning was I felt better on phased strengths of dose as opposed to one strength , much the same now I'm menopsusal lol x

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »

I was on Brevinor for many years and it made my mood more perky and it was very energising. It's an older type pill as I found the newer progesterones affected my mood too much. I also reacted badly to the Progesterone Only Pill (POP) but only tried two.

There used to be a great website with pill ladders and detailed side effects and specialities of every pill, with a formula to go more oestrogenic or progestogenic but can only find this now which may help but doesn't seem to include POPs.

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=792002630

peri

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »

That's really helpful dangermouse, thank you x