Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: More worries  (Read 2584 times)

Nasil41

More worries
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »

Hi girls
So I just got back from doctors and now I have more things to worry about my anxiety is through the roof  :'(
One of the levels on my liver function was really high so I have to go for a scan of my abdomen and stop the statins also need more blood tests as concerned about diabetes...it never ends im reaching for a diazepam

Taz2

Re: More worries
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »

Although it's a worry at least you know that there is a reason for the way you have been feeling and they are taking steps to find the cause? Do you have frequent blood tests to check your liver function as I see you are on Pregabalin? My daughter in law is on this as part of her cocktail of anti-anxiety and pain medication and has to have her function checked every three months.

The liver is a great organ by the way and can recover quickly once the reason for the elevated levels is found.

Taz x  :bighug:

Nasil41

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »

Thanks Taz
No im not on regular blood testing no one told me I should be im just hoping it's something that can be "fixed ". I worry more as my husband died of cancer and it was secondary in his liver and by the time they found it it was too late
I'm hoping by stopping the statins this will help and im getting referred back to psychiatry so will query about the pregablin x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »

It might be because my daughter in law is younger. Not sure. I might have got it wrong of course - has been known  ;D

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »

So sorry to hear about your husband.

Maybe give a local Pharmacist a ring or drop in for a chat, make a list of queries.  They often have more time than GPs  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »

Not always the best form of treatment sometimes!  You could comprise a list and give the Surgery a ring for advice, I often make another appt. and go in with "I wasn't listening properly last time, could you go through it again so that I am clearer?" usually works and is non-confrontational.  Often the medical profession know what they mean but aren't good at remembering to explain fully! 

Nasil41

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »

Thank you breeze
I think it was the mentioning of the word scan just totally floored me
I rang the surgery to make a telephone appointment with my doc so she can explain everything again but it's not till next Tues
She gave me an examination and also tested my urine and kept asking if I was in any pain , had I been feeling or had I been sick and if I was ok when eating of which the answer was no to all

it was 11 years yesterday I lost my husband at the young age of 37

dazned

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »

:hug:

oh my goodness no age at all. This world is so unfair at times .

Im pretty sure its the statins, I had something similar when I was on them .I don't take them anymore.

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear all the troubles you've been having and losing your husband so young sometimes it just feels as if life is so unfair. I can completely identify with the anxiety you suffer as suffer it myself plus if you then get something like blood tests and you don't get the all clear and get the message to 'contact your GP' you are already in that worst case scenario zone.

I have been on constant AB's for a UTI I don't seem to be able to get rid of and my last set of blood tests that were done for a foot infection I had were fine except for the LFT ones one of which ALT was slightly raised which of course put me in an instant panic! I think anything to do with your liver can be quite scary if you have abnormal tests but it appears that it can be quite common for a variety of reasons but your GP is taking the right approach as the tests in themselves are not conclusive and it may be it's just a blip and there won't be an issue when you get the scan done and if by chance there is some kind of issue it will be itentified and measures taken to sort things as some of the others have pointed out you are on a few different drugs so it probably is an issue with this.

I won't tell you not to worry (but please try not to) as if you are like myself you will anyway 😄 One thing I would suggest for your peace of mind is that if you feel you can't cope till next week to discuss the results etc again rather than put yourself through mental torture call your surgery and explain how much this is worrying you and get a sooner appointment my surgery has emergency appointments available every day and I'm quite sure if your surgery has the same thing you would get to see someone sooner plus have a pen and paper handy and write things down and don't be afraid to ask the GP any questions you have.

Take care sending you a big hug

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »

Hi Nasil 41,
I too have had elevated LFT - once my ALT was 700 ( should be 30-130).  They are still up but no where near that level.  It's a very sensitive test and can fluctuate hour by hour,  plus some drugs can definitely elevate.  I know it's easy to say but try not to worry until you know the facts as it could well be nothing and then you will have gone through all of this worry for nothing x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »

37 is so young - sorry to hear that

Nasil41

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:24:50 AM »

Thank you ladies for your reassurances they do mean a lot
I spoke to a family member yesterday about this and she told me something I didn't know that we have a fatty liver problem in our family. I knew I was on a statin due to familiarity cholesterol but didn't know about the liver. She also takes statins as do most of my cousins thanks to our mother's
it can be caused by excessive drinking but seeing as non of our mother's drank or smoked so it proved it wasn't related. She reckons I need to be on a statin for it and could be one of my other meds as the cause as she is a phlebotamist and regularly takes blood from patients taking my kind of medication
I know one thing from this I am going to sort my diet out and try to do some sort of exercise not drastically but small steps x

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »

sorry to read about your dear husband.  My eldest son is 37, he seems so young to me.

Hope you get reassurance for your family health worries. My husband has hereditary family health issues too, it is a concern.

Wishing you all the best.  :foryou:

Nasil41

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »

Thank you all for the reassurances and also for sympathies for my husband
It Has been hard raising 2 young children by myself but it was them that kept me going I had too I had no choice

Another blood test tomorrow and then speaking to GP on Tuesday to go over my last results as I can't rember anything she said apart from going for scan x

Roseneath

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »

I had raised levels back in Feb also glucose was a bit high.  Was really worried. Had a scan and retested and it was back to normal. I had been taking ibruprofen and paracetamol for a virus plus menopause vitamins  before the blood test which they said probably caused it...so try not to worry too much although it is easier said then done.