Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Low Moods  (Read 1514 times)

Jaybla

Low Moods
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:12:04 PM »

I am 55 years old my periods stopped when I was 47 whilst
Going through my divorce. I was told by my gp that
They would return they never did. Not too many symptoms
For first few years but probably for the last 2/3 years I get periods of extreme low moods generally feel miserable for no apparent reason, empty feeling unable to get excited about things!  I do take meds for underactive thyroid but nothing else. I work part time I excercise at least 3 times per week. Does Anyone have any recommendations that may help me please

dazned

Re: Low Moods
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

What sort of route are you looking to go down ? Alternative,medication etc. Have you tried keeping a chart to see if there is any patterns ? Do have a read up on here I'm sure you'll find lots of different ideas. ☺

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »

There is always a reason for mood changes.

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary and see if it relates to when you were menstruating regularly?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:04:16 AM »

Hi Jaybla

:welcomemm:

Unfortunately low moods are one of the consequences of menopause due to oestrogen depletion - and in the absence of any other reason for them. it can also make you less able to cope with life events too.

In your position I would seriously consider HRT - because you went through menopause several years before the average age of natural menopause of 51/52 - so a few years of extra protection for your bones and heart  are likely to be beneficial and you are still well within the right time frame for it. This should eventually help with your moods if you find the right product.

After so long without oestrogen it may take a while to settle, so if you go down this route I would start gently and ease yourself into it while your body adjusts. All the different types are listed under Treatments tab (top green banner).

Great that you are keeping fit - so important at this stage of life.

If we can help in any other way then please ask :)

Hurdity x

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

Sorry that you are feeling low at times - personally I think that this can be for a number of reasons at our age so wouldn't automatically jump to taking HRT - you mention your thyroid do it might be worth checking that you are running at optimal levels; there is increasing evidence that diet plays a major role in mood so maybe an overhaul there with a look at use of probiotics and prebiotics to tweak the beneficial bugs on our microbiome ( dr Moseley had good simple diet book out that covers this) - maybe get iron levels checked as low levels of that can make you feel a bit flat too - do these moods get worse when seasons change in which case seasonal affective disorder might have role - I'd also suggest asking dr for referral to brief counselling to see if you can identify any underlying reasons for mood changes that therapy might help with - then you might have a clearer picture of whether hormonal support like hrt is way forward or whether other supports such as any depressants or ongoing therapy  have a role x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »

You have a huge upheaval going on!  Maybe talking therapy will help, it allowed me to vent, vent, vent .......

Make a note of what you would like to ease first.  How were your moods during your menstruating years?  Is this different?

Have a read of the green menu above, perhaps take a list to your GP/Practice Nurse and talk your options through. Then let us know how you are.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »

I've been on oestrogen since I was 32 and happy go lucky until I reached 45, oestrogen isn't always the 'feel good' hormone for all women, by all means give it a go but don't pin your hopes on it settling your mood.  We are all different and it appears testosterone was my missing link to bring my mood level. As I say oestrogen may bring you relief but I'd rather give my experiences.  I'm on a moderate oestrogen dose now and feel much better.  Start low and increase as you feel you need it 

Jaybla

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »

Thank you all so much for taking time out to reply! I am thinking of starting some herbal remedies such as black cohosh! Anyone got any thoughts on it? I will take your advise and start keeping log of when I feel low - add notes in my diary
Thanks again all

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »

There is an alternative area on the Forum and I'm sure Black Cohosh will be mentioned.  However, as hormones begin to rise and fall, any benefits felt may be lost ....... also, it is not advised to be taken for very long.  If it were reliable, then it would be available on the NHS.