Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Radio 4 - Migraine  (Read 1559 times)

Taz2

Radio 4 - Migraine
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

Today on Woman's Hour they were discussing migraine. You can listen again here (scroll to around 21 minutes in) but there is also a podcast to download where there will be more in depth discussion I think http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092jw15

This is quite apt for me as my daughter in law was rushed into A & E last night with what they thought was a stroke.  She was halfway through eating dinner when she had sudden loss of speech, drooping of one side of the face, inability to raise one arm etc. Thankfully the brain scan was clear and all bloods were good so the only explanation was a hemi-plegic migraine. https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/types-of-migraine/hemiplegic-migraine/ Very scary to see someone like that. I finally got home from A & E at 2.30 this morning. The wait to be finally discharged was long as they were very busy but I was really impressed at how quickly the stroke team sprang into action.

Taz x

wombat62

Re: Radio 4 - Migraine
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:13:51 AM »

Sorry to hear about your DIL.

A friend of mine had this and it turned out to be one of those migraines. It was a bit of a wake up call as they were a little burnt out at the time so don't know if your DIL has been a bit under pressure lately?

I think people who get those migraines have to take care of themselves as they are at greater risk of a stroke.

Hopefully she'll be okay.

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »

My husband and middle daughter both suffer from hemaplegic migraines and they are evil.

Husband spent 24 hours on a stroke ward first one as that's what they thought it was as they mimic strokes.

Daughter has collapsed in the past in London throwing up the street with hers.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:49:22 AM »

That sounds dreadful Maryjane. I think we were lucky as the stroke team were so quick to act. They were waiting when she arrived at the hospital and rushed her straight through for a scan. No throwing up or nausea for her luckily.

She has been under stress and not so well lately so maybe it was a build up of everything.

Taz x