Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen levels with mirena coil  (Read 1565 times)

Jinja

Oestrogen levels with mirena coil
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »

Hi
I've just had my blood results back from the private menopause clinic my oestrogel levels were 159 pmol/l the doctor has said that this is low. I have had a mirena coil for 15 months so haven't had a bleed as such in a while so have no idea where I am in my cycle, I have been using 2 pumps of gel for the same amount of time I'm wondering what levels I should be trying to get to?
Since my appointment I have switched to everol 100 and testosterone so hoping it starts to increase.
My testosterone was 0.5 nmol/l which I was told was slightly low

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogen levels with mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »

Hi Jinja

That level is not very low although it depends primarily on how you feel.   However as you say if you are still peri-menopausal but the Mirena has stopped your bleeds you won't know where in the cycle this test was taken. Also it's thought best to have a higher level of oestrogen if you are also taking testosterone to prevent any unwanted androgenic side effects. Testosterone testing is very unreliable for women as the tests are designed for men and our readings are at the lowest end of the scale.

Are you still getting menopausal symptoms that are bothering you and if so which?  Also what does your doctor say? If you are still getting symptoms then why not talk about increasing oestrogen to say 3 pumps for a month or so and see how you feel? Also women absorb transdermal oestrogens differently - often markedly so. See how you get on and if you are still not feeling good then maybe think about an even higher dose or switch to a patch - it is personal preference as to which type suits different women.

Hurdity x