Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Prolapsed spinal discs update  (Read 7805 times)

ellie

Re: Prolapsed spinal disc, severe sciatica
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »

Was baby Ok Annie?

Annie0710

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »

Yes thankfully, but I continued to contract the whole way the pregnancy, I was on bedrest more than I wasn't and had to start my maternity leave at 29 weeks instead of my original plan of leaving on due date.   The dr bullied me into the amnio, I was willing to accept the consequences of not having an amnio x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »

Hindsight and all that.  When ladies are vulnerable the Medical Profession should be more open to discussion  :bang:

X-rays can show a lot but MRI where available is probably better.  One can diagnose back problems by the way a patient reacts to pressure points and movement, but it is nice to have a clearer picture to refer to! 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »

CB I hope the gabapentin works for you and you get some relief.
As for sticking your finger where the sun don't shine 🌞 , your GP will be checking for Claudia Equina,  and tingling in the legs and feet will be just one of the symptoms that will be making her cautious. ( Good doctor) .....After my last back surgery I woke up with partial cauda equina  in my saddle area, and still have it.......So please if you get any numbness around there, do something about it quickly.
   As for using some inheritance money, don't feel one tiny bit guilty.....it's yours.

The gp also said that unless someone has bowel/bladder involvement then no back symptoms/level of pain are considered urgent for scan.  I have had weird feeling around my anus for years when I first get out of bed in the morning, feels as if it should be numb but isn't and goes away within minutes. All previous scans have been fine re cauda equina.  Last year another Dr insisted she do the finger up bum test herself and as long as you can squeeze they are happy! 
The private company got the referral this afternoon and phoned me within an hour to make the appt :o  I had two price options, first one scan within 5 days or the cheaper one 14 days so chose the 14 day one as thats still 2-3 weeks quicker than the nhs would have been.
I have taken the paracetamol today as she advised and used ice pack alot and has been a bit easier so may wait a few days before starting the gabapentin, I really don't like this drug but know that it may really help the pain ::)

countrybumpkin

Re: Prolapsed spinal disc, severe sciatica update
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »

Just an update everyone ;D    Had my mri scan and another disc above the one that prolapsed last year has gone squish.  I was improving with physio but yesterday I went to try out mobility scooters :o and all the getting on and off did not do me any favours and today I stood up and wham got knifed in the back again so although as yet not as bad as all those weeks ago I am almost back to square one again.

My gp asked me if I wanted to be referred for surgical intervention just 2 days ago and I said not at moment but after today I wonder how long I can avoid either injections or surgery. 

Pain wise I found out I cannot take any of the nerve pain drugs ( there are only 3) due to severe side effects and an exisiting health problem stopping me using the 3rd drug so only dihydrocodeine ( I react badly to oramorph) but trying not to use them due to the lovely effects on bowels ;D ;D ::)

Ju Ju

Re: Prolapsed spinal discs update
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »

Sorry to hear your back issues continue. I have a vision of a lady whizzing here, there and everywhere! Not that they go fast really! Have you chosen one?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »

Sorry to hear your back issues continue. I have a vision of a lady whizzing here, there and everywhere! Not that they go fast really! Have you chosen one?

Yes bought a second hand one that is only 6 months old and hardly used like new but half the price of new one and still got 6 months full warranty and further year labour warranty.  Like new cars they depreciate the most in first 6 months.
The shop was saying that loads of people are losing their higher rate mobility allowance and having to return the scooters and this one they had supplied less than 6 months ago - they said it was awful as some of their customers had been with them for years then having to return them. Its the 8mph one so have to register it with dvla.  Thankfully I live in a quiet area so can whizz round the area practising before going further.  My neighbour can't wait for it to be delivered so she can have a go ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »

How cruel for those who rely on them. My Mum has one, but is too frail to use it, but my Dad will get use of it, particularly when he has to stop driving. He's 92. They are fortunate to have inherited some money to cushion their old age.
Pages: 1 2 [3]