Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alternative to Premique  (Read 7621 times)

Pauline Meaney

Alternative to Premique
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »

Hello everyone, I have been taking Premique for some years but as you probably know it is no longer manufactured. As an alternative my Doctor prescribed Elleste Solo 1mg. I read the leaflet and this is usually only prescribed if you have had your womb removed (I have not). I went back to my Doctor immediately to advise I do not want to take an oestrogen only product and instead he prescribed Elleste Duet 2mg. I have read the leaflet on this and it advises you will have a monthly bleed. I do not want a monthly bleed nor an oestrogen only product so back I will go to the Doctor again. I have not tried either of the products and as luck would have it I have found a month's supply of Premique in my medicine cupboard so I am OK for a while. Premique has worked a treat for me so I am wondering if there is a similar product to replace this. I don't want a monthly bleed nor am I keen to use patches or gel. Taking one tablet a day without a bleed which contains both oestrogen and progestogen is my preferred choice. I am 56 and have been on HRT for about 8 years (one and off) I stop for a few months every now and then to see if the flushes and sweats have stopped but sadly not. I don't smoke and am about a stone overweight. Any help or advice appreciated please, we do not have a menopause clinic at our surgery and when I asked my Doctor if I could be referred to Guy's Hospital (they do have a clinic) he said it was not necessary as he can prescribe the medication and discuss options. Thanks all for your time

shoppingqueen

Re: Alternative to Premique
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »

Hi Pauline

Welcome to MM!  :)

I too was a Premique fan- and have tried a number of preparations since it has been discontinued. As I could not get a repeat prescription back in February , my doctor supplied another unrelated HRT ( that is different estrogen AND progesterone) which I started immediately as I was panicking to not be without, but wish I had done some research at the time to find a match to the Premique to avoid messing my hormones up (which is what has happened!) It's great you have a month's supply so you can avoid this.

I have subsequently done A LOT of reading up! The closest you can get is Premarin (conjugated estrogen only) which is made by the same company, Pfizer, and it comes in three strengths. I was on 0.625 in Premique which is medium dosage, but it is available as 0.3 and up to 1.25 which would be quite a high dose.  I'm guessing you were on the medium dosage of Premique as the last time I looked low dose was still available. You then would need to add in a separate progesterone Provera 5mg which is the same progesterone in Premique (0.625/ 5mg). My doctor said not to have 5mg each day as she felt this was too much progesterone and said 2.5mg for 14 days but this would give a bleed. However, a different GP said 5mg!! I  also know there are ladies on here taking 5mg continually with the Premarin and as this was same dosage given in Premique I can't see what the issue would be. If the progesterone suited you in Premique it should be a good combination for you. The only issue then is taking 2 separate tablets.
Maybe you could discuss this with your GP as the two separates are definitely available.

If you put Premarin into the search bar on this site, you'll see posts from other users.

Your other options are to go with estradiol which is a bioidentical estrogen, basically the same as we would produce in our own bodies and is used in all of the other tablets, gels and patches with a progesterone added in. A lot prefer estradiol , but I have seen posts where some users have felt better on the conjugated estrogen. There are tablets that have the estradiol with the same progesterone in as in Premique, Provera, but the technical name is Medroxyprogesterone (spelling??) abbreviated to MPA. If you decide to go for estradiol, I'd be tempted to stick with the same progesterone so that you are only changing one component. I didn't do this and so therefore was not sure whether I was struggling with the new estrogen or progesterone.

The only other alternative progesterone available as a single to put alongside the Premarin would be Utrogestan- this is sometimes called micronised progesterone and is bioidentical. There are lots of users here who love it, some manage it and others don't tolerate it. Again, worth a read up on it.

In my experience having been where you are, I'd stick with the closest as if it ain't broke, don't fix it! As I've bounced around different preparations in the last six months and been on a hormone rollercoaster, I only wish I'd had a doctor up to speed with HRT which would have offered the Premarin and Provera straight off. As it is, I'm trying to settle on femoston for at least 3 months to try and get some kind of consistency in my system. I tried the Premarin/ provera briefly but at a time when I was under some severe personal stress, probably exacerbated by hormone meltdown, and had lots of dizziness. I wasn't sure if it was Premarin and could well have been anxiety related, so it's a combination I would try again. It was brilliant at removing my meno symptoms and I felt super calm and slept well! I've read loads of positive posts on Premarin and it's one of the most prescribed in the USA so it must work for many.

I'm sure more experienced posters will be along to offer ideas and experiences.
Be great to hear what you decide 😀 SQ xx
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:42:00 PM by shoppingqueen »

Pauline Meaney

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

Hello SQ and thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will look up all you have mentioned and let you know for sure which way I go. You are right, I have been taking Premique 0.625 which has worked a treat for me. I had not known the low dose is still available and I wonder if trying this might be an option and if taking 2 instead of 1 (to increase the dose) might also be an option. It is all so troubling and slightly confusing. Someone else has recommended Femoston - Conti so I will read up on this too. Thanks again for your reply, it is greatly appreciated :-) xx

shoppingqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »

You are very welcome Pauline!
Yes, I did consider doubling up on the low dose at the time medium was discontinued. I don't think it 'quite' made up the full strength but wasn't a long way off so if your GP will do this then that would be another option, as you have said- good thinking 😀
The Femoston conti is only available as 1mg estradiol which would be a lower dose than you are on. I think the conjugated estrogens are considered stronger (others mention this on here and having tried both I tend to agree- I felt it nailed my symptoms more efficiently than estradiol is doing; I'm currently on Femonston 2/10 which is sequential- just a thought! However, am early days as only into second packet and I didn't bleed on the estradiol only. My doctor said I might not and I'm post meno now I think)
The Femoston is reported as 'kinder' because of its progesterone component Dydrogesterone. It's a synthetic but is the closest synthetic available to that produced in our own bodies. Utrogestan is the only bioidentical available.
Keep in touch xx

Ps it's worrying when doctor's prescribe only estrogen to a patient with a womb- :bang: thank goodness for your vigilance!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:47:31 PM by shoppingqueen »

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »

Hi as shopping queen knows I'm in the same boat, I'm try Premarin and ustrogen (14 days) ATM, two months in a bit wobbly but I have other things to and a bug so not getting a true feel yet.
I did try elleste but migraines and acne and femeston left me super low.
It's a nightmare!! Xx

Katia

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »

I'm trying Premarin and Utrogestan too. I'm going to try the provera instead of Utrogestan as it makes me a bit groggy. I just seem to be getting some spots that I didn't get wi the gel.  Other thepan the spots I would be very happy with Premarin. I hope they settle

shoppingqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 09:58:51 PM »

Lil22, I have my fingers crossed this is the one for you! 
Great news, Katia- the possible shift to provera might just nail it? Lots of positives on the Hystersisters website re Premarin.

🤗 SQ xx

Butterfly22

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »

Thanks shopping queen, how are you getting on? and Katia I hope it works for you, fingers crossed. Xx

Katia

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »

I'm feeling a little flat today. Can Premarin lower mood?  Not sure if maybe it's my cycle. A few spots also

shoppingqueen

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 07:34:13 AM »

Lil22 having some good days which is great and getting some good sleep- some headachy days. Only real downside at the moment is great on waking- jittery and some creepy crawly sensations and stiffness in legs. Better after eating.
I'd love to get up feeling refreshed and normalish just wonder if that feeling will ever come back?? Have tried taking Femoston in evening for while to see if that makes difference, but it didn't.
How wobbly Lil22??

Katia, in the month I took the Premarin I felt chilled- no up feeling- no particular down feeling. Flat might describe it, but I wonder if this is your body adjusting? I quite like that feeling, but did mention to a friend, it's not something I'd want full time as great as it was to feel so calm.
Hope you two are going to have good days today xxx

Butterfly22

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »

Hi shoppingqueen, I was feeling a bit low and tired on th ustrogen, the only upside is I do sleep better when taking that, I normally wake about four times a night and last night only woke at 4 then 6 a miracle for me.

There is a bug going round tired headache ect but I've been getting headaches, I'm hoping not HRT as had awful pain in my eye in fact still slightly there. I'm at optician on Monday.

It's really hard to no what's what but as no acne, extreme tiredness and very low moods (main symptoms) I'm trying to give it a good go.
And thanks lovely hope you settle as this really turns into a joke doesn't it! Xxx

Katia maybe until you get use to it, I'm still getting the odd spot but not like some set me off, I've got scars from some HRT setting my skin off bad. As feeling low I'm on antidepressants to but did feel a bit low last week but it did pass, I put it down to the ustrogen but maybe part of my cycle. I'm two months in and round 26/27 both months felt very low, crying ect but did pass xxx

shoppingqueen

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »

Lil22
Yes great to get sleep but hard when it drifts into the day time. There doesn't seem to be quick fix does there?
Hope the optician appt goes well! I'm not headachy as a person but lately having lots, some blinding. Let's hope it's a bug and not HRT!! I'm thinking same xxx

Katia

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »

Lil22 I had no sports in the pill and I can't figure out if the sports are my cycle or the HRT. I wonder if I'm better back on the pill. It seems to be more even than the HRT, but I can't stay on the pill forever.  I didn't feel as flat yesterday, but do today. Maybe that's cycle too. I've had a week off Utrogestan, but need to go back on it tonight. It makes me tired too.  My gps on up,s as I want to try provera and see if it's any better

Butterfly22

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »

I no I'm hoping it's a bug but been really shakey and dizzy, feel like my anxiety is getting worse too!! I'm so fed up I really am!
I was given the dinette pill a couple of years ago because my spots were so bad off another hrt!
It was the best I felt in years, more energy, great skin, mood was good, I was on it three months but each month I got migraines!
The doctor said could be sign of stroke and no way could I continue!
I'm so fed up! Last year was bad with health and this year has been the same I'm really not happy!! Xxx

Katia

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »

Lil22, what about trying another pill?  yasmin is good for skin, or maybe angeliq.  It's the same progestegen that good for skin and hair.
Pages: [1] 2