Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Home insurance - buildings accidental damage  (Read 4837 times)

Katejo

Home insurance - buildings accidental damage
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »

I am due to renew my policy and have just had an ok renewal quote. I don't currently have buildings accidental damage but am wondering whether to include it because it does now cover such damage to underground pipes, cables etc for which I am legally responsible.

Do you include this?

Ju Ju

Re: Home insurance - buildings accidental damage
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »

Yes, we do. And we shop around each year.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »

Also one needs to think about demolition charges should push come to shove, quite literally  ::)

Do shop around. It might be worth while going into a broker to have a physical look at an application form and what the various insurers in your area offer as Cover.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »

Also one needs to think about demolition charges should push come to shove, quite literally  ::)

Do shop around. It might be worth while going into a broker to have a physical look at an application form and what the various insurers in your area offer as Cover.
I am partly restricted on choice because quite a few don't allow lodgers. i just know a small group of insurers which do.  I am pretty sure that demolition charges would come under the main building insurance. Accidental damage is presented as an optional extra.
I tend to stay with the same one (ok quote permitting). Sometimes i use another quote to persuade them to knock the figure down a bit.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »

And always read the small print. DH isn't too good at that and I checked to see whether we had flood cover after he had taken out new building insurance for a house we rent out near a river. We didn't. We automatically get it with our own home building insurance as we live 300' above sea level. Adding it on was expensive, but we shopped around the next year and it was considerably cheaper.