Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Head bump  (Read 3326 times)

lizzog

Head bump
« on: August 27, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »

About ten days ago I capsized in a kayak on holiday (old enough to know better!!), and banged the top of my head on a rock. I felt slightly dizzy afterwards but this went away after about 20 minutes. I had a lump on my head which disappeared after a few days, but it still feels tender to the touch and sometimes a bit tingly.
Had such a horrible year with various health problems I am starting to feel anxious. Meno
Seems to exacerbate the anxiety too. Anyone had any similar experiences? Am I being overly anxious?!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Head bump
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »

Were you checked after the incident?
Have you had headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness on standing?
How is your appetite?

Bruises can become tender but of course under hair they can't be seen  ::)

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:13:23 PM »

I wasn't checked out as was in the middle of very rural France. No nausea headaches etc and appetite good as ever! It feels bruised but difficult to see as you say.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:17:34 PM »

When I fell 10 years ago flat onto my face various bruises, aches and pains 'came out' for the next 7-10 days, dependent on where I had landed, i.e. shoulders, front of upper arms, one hip.  When the bruises came out they itched !

Have you any other bruises?   

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 09:22:30 PM »

No amazingly I haven't, but o ached a bit afterwards. I can safely say I won't be doing it again. Safety was lax and it really wasn't suited to novices like me!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »

Have you laid awake worrying since  ::) - night time is the worst I reckon!

lizzog

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:50:32 AM »

Thanks Trey that's why I've been worrying! I'm just surprised it's so tender still after ten days so will be on my guard.

Yammy1

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 06:46:01 AM »

Hi lizzog, a few months ago I fell and got a nasty bump to the back of my head. A lot of swelling and bruising and very sore, it took weeks for tenderness to ease but I was so scared to go out anywhere because I felt dizzy. I went to my doc who did a few tests and said all was fine but I would be sore for some time. If it makes you feel better pay doc a visit but if you didn't pass out Or vomit I'd say your fine x

lizzog

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »

Thanks Yammy- feel ok but as often is the case difficult to tell what's meno and what's anything else!

CaroleM

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »

Lizzog,

GET IT CHECKED OUT NOW.  Any and every head injury must be checked out. It's better to be checked and nothing is amiss than don't get it checked and something is going on that shouldn't be.  Sorry if that sounds alarmist, it's not intended to be.  Take everything Trey has given you as the best advice you have ever had.

Were you wearing a crash helmet? Never canoe without one. I suspect you are not a novice in a canoe, it was just a shame that it upset a good paddle. Was it a sea paddle, a river or white water?

Hoping all checks out to be nothings more than a bump then is going to take a while to sort itself out.

Brighteyes

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »

This Member doesn't have any symptoms of head injury that warrants me to suspect that there is anything might be wrong.  I worked for a Head Injury Consultant for years .........

There is nothing simple if someone suggests that they were 'concussed' i.e. knocked out.

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »

I'd say get it checked out so that you can hopefully have peace of mind, Lizzog. 

lizzog

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »

I am a novice and sadly weren't offered helmets. The water was fast flowing in places down a river with the main danger coming from overhanging branches which were often hard to avoid.
I felt a little dizzy afterwards but as I said was conscious, no headache, vomiting etc.
I'm going to ring my GP tomorrow for peace of mind.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 05:42:42 PM »

..... and now you have a headache?

lizzog

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:52 PM »

No I've not had any headaches at all either straight after or now. It's just tender around where the bump was and occasionally it feels as though it 'stings' on the same spot.
What I was surprised about I suppose is the fact that it's still tender to the touch there.
Pages: [1] 2