Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Very heavy period after essentially none for years  (Read 1579 times)

WhatTheFrack

Very heavy period after essentially none for years
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »

Hello!  I'm 52 years old.  For the roughly three years (I haven't really kept track) I haven't had anything resembling a normal period, and before that they were tapering off.  For the last few years I would get intermittent light spotting, usually just a little bit of pink on toilet paper, but almost unnoticeable.  I've had a few vaguely lukewarm flashes but nothing that resembles what many women report, some insomnia, but not a whole lot of other symptoms.

My long-term partner and I are in a long-distance relationship, so we see each other at scheduled times rather than regularly.  We spent a week and a half together 3-4 weeks ago.  We stopped using contraceptives a year ago, since I figured that no periods for that long meant that it was likely safe to do so.  A couple of days ago I got horrible cramps, followed by heavy bleeding.  My first thought was, "Drat!  I thought I was done with this!" followed by the observation that this was heavier than any normal period I'd ever had.  In fact, it reminds me quite a lot of when I miscarried 25 years ago.  Or it could just be that my body has been saving up just to taunt me.

After two days the bleeding is starting to slow down and cramps are lessening.  I think my path forward is to treat it like a surprise heavy period, and not see a doctor unless it doesn't taper off normally or it happens again.

My questions:

- Is it even feasible that I got pregnant after not having anything resembling a normal period for years?
- What are the signs that I should go see my doctor?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Very heavy period after essentially none for years
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »

I think if you were fertile you would have fallen B4 now.  It is suggested that if a lady hasn't had a period at all and then bleeds after 2 years+ a Drs appt. should be sought, sometimes the lining can build in the womb so a scan can be arranged to check measurements.  Also it may be a polyp that is triggered by fluctuating hormones: mine disappeared at peri  ::)

Cramps can be treated by over-the-counter pain relief.  Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

Browse round.   :welcomemm:

Long distance relationship - a trip to Barbados every 2 months or so  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »

Hi WhatTheFrack - the guidelines are that if you haven't had a proper period for over a year then it is very important that you get this bleeding checked out by a GP.  Please make an appointment just to make sure that it's not anything serious. It could be a polyp or a hormonal blip but better to be safe than sorry. Please let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »

Hi WhatTheFrack

:welcomemm: from me too.

...just to say that it is as Taz says - bleeding after ONE year without a period NOT two years is when you should visit the doctor to get checked out just in case. It is set at this conservative time just to make sure no-one gets missed who might have something more serious - but as Taz says could be a very simple and common explanation - or even just a rogue period! Ovaries having a last hurrah!

Hurdity x

WhatTheFrack

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 05:34:04 AM »

OK, I'll get in touch with my GP on Monday.

I've had a lot of weird conversations with myself over this.  "No way!  Not possible!"  "But... the symptoms fit perfectly."  "Not a chance.  Don't even think about it."  "But... the timing..."  "Nope, no sirree, not happening."  "But you spent a lot of time talking to Doctor Google and reading stories of women who got pregnant after they thought they were done with menopause."  "Yeah, but that's them.  Not me.  Nope, huh uh, no chance."  "But it would be funny, wouldn't it?"  "I'm gonna have to go with no on that."  "But..." "No."  "But..." "No!"  "But..." "NO!"  "But..."  "La la la la, I can't hear you."  Imagine a tiny tennis match taking place in my brain, with two players at double match point battling it out for the Wimbledon championship.  All day.

After more rounds of that than I'm willing to admit to the actual intelligent part of my brain kicked in and pointed out that there was an easy way to prove or disprove this theory with 99% confidence, and it would only cost me ten bucks.  So, like a frightened teenager I went to the store, grabbed a box, and furtively dropped it into my cart behind a bottle of ginger peach kombucha.  Can I just say that self-checkout lanes are one of the best inventions ever?  I'm willing to bet that they've actually made a small dent in the sales of pregnancy tests by making it easier for teenagers to get condoms.  In any case...

I then did something I haven't done in decades... I peed on a stick.  And waited three very long minutes, not even sure what I wanted the results to say.  I turned it over and there wasn't even the slightest hint of a second line.  Not even under bright light, with my reading glasses on.  So there's that theory down the drain.  I guess I'll call my GP.

Thank you all for the kind welcomes and excellent advice.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »

Well the oldest naturally occurring pregnancy was to a woman of 59 apparently http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1560739/UK-woman-59-worlds-oldest-natural-mother.html  and the morning after pill is prescribed for woman up to the age of 54/55 (I used it on the advice of my GP at the age of 53) so at 52 it would have been possible. Hormone levels drop very quickly after miscarriage so you probably will never know!

Let us know how you get on at the GP. You will probably be referred for a scan of the endometrial lining and don't worry if this happens quickly - NHS guidelines are that you have to be referred within two weeks if you are post menopausal. I'm not sure if you are in the UK.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »

You're State-side then, hopefully not in the Texas area  :o  ::)

My Aunt had a late pregnancy, her daughter was 21 and they had a 'good' celebration  ;).  But you got your test, well done!

Browse round.  Join in.  Make that appt. anyhow - 1 or 2 years, what ever  ::)