Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Giving HRT a try  (Read 3534 times)

Rosie2

Giving HRT a try
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »

Hi everyone,
I have not posted for about 18 months, I have been suffering in silence! Silly I know.
I have not had a bleed for 2 years 8 months, I am 53. I have been suffering terrible with mood swings ( really angry sometimes & very tearful at other times), hot flushes, exhausted all the time, & generally just not interested in doing anything.
I have been against trying HRT, due to my older sister having breast cancer, but I have finally decided after a lot of discussions with my GP,  to giElleste ve it a try. GP has given me Elleste Duet Conti.
Can anyone please tell me how long it usually takes to start to feel better. I am only on day 4, and would just like an idea of how long it could be.
I have a very understanding husband, thank goodness, because at times I can be so awful to him & anyone else close to me. This is not like me at all, I feel like a different person.
Also can anyone tell me if they have suffered weight gain on this med.  I am planning to exercise when I start (if I ever do) to feel better & less tired.

I would really appreciate any info & advice.

Thanks x

dazned

Re: Giving HRT a try
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

It differs in everyone really. It's usually the flushes that hrt knocks out first. Try to do at least 2 months,maybe keep a brief diary so you can look back and compere. Hope you pick up soon .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »

Tiredness is my main problem right now.

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  We can so easily forget how we feel on any particular day  ::)

It can take a few weeks B4 full benefit is felt.  The body doesn't suddenly get where it is so uptake may take a while.  Again, a diary can help. 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »

Hi Rosie2

I started with patches rather than pills and my flushes and sweats started to decrease within days and had pretty much disappeared within a couple of weeks I seem to recall. Tablets sometimes take a bit longer but as dazned says - give it a while. You might expect some spotting or bleeding and also some side effects owing to being several years post-menopause, but do bear with them as the oestrogen begins to work and hopefully you will feel the benefit soon :)

Hurdity x

Rosie2

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:22:28 AM »

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the replies, it is so good to have this forum to gather information, & also it helps a lot, to know that you are not alone with this dreadful menopause!
I am now on day 6 of the Elleste Duo Conti, & so far feeling terrible. My flushes seem to have got worse, but also they are a bit different, I now get a ****ly feeling on my skin whilst having the hot flush, which also seems to last longer. Also had bad headache for the first few days, but that seems to have gone. Indigestion, bloating, & low abdominal ache are a few new symptoms I now have. Could anyone tell me please these are maybe side effects of the Elleste, & has anyone experienced them too? I am going to stick with it, but not sure how long I should have the side effects before I speak to my GP. I have an appointment after first pack of Elleste for a check on how it is going, but if these side effects (if that is what they are) continue or get any worse not sure if I can cope.
After all that moaning and groaning (Sorry), I do have a positive!!! I am getting some sleep now, I still wake up several times with flushes, but there is a massive improvement in the amount of quality sleep I am getting! x

Marie62

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »

Hi Rosie2
I was on Elleste Duo Conti and it took about 3 weeks for the flushes to stop it was worth the wait because although I didn't have as many as some women I found them unbearable, I've always been totally intolerant  to heat and really struggle in the summer, can't wait until the temperature gets into single figures  ;D
I came off Ellest because I went through a really bad period of depression and anxiety last Christmas it lasted 3 weeks so I assumed it was the Ellest and asked for a lower dose, got Kliovance and after 3 months depression returned again,now on Angeliq but having stomach problems, just can't win ::)
I think it's my own hormones that are causing the mood problems not the hrt but I would say hrt definitely stopped the flushes so hang in there.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »

How does your depression manifest Marie62?

Marie62

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »

Hi CLKD
I've had 3 bouts of depression since last Christmas. It seems to come in a cycle,every 3 months and lasts 2 to 3 weeks, (they do say things come in 3s  ;D) during a bout I have a feeling of total gloom and don't want to talk to or see anyone also am so irritable and noise drives me mad.
It just creeps up on me I can wake up one day and it's like something's switched off.
The first bout was by far the worst but I've managed to cope not too bad with the last two, then I'll wake up one day 2-3 weeks later and feel ok again, it's so strange.
No history of depression ever or hormonal problems,no PMS or "baby blues"
I'm sure I'll get through this soon,I'm on Angeliq just now and apart from stomach problems feeling not too bad, better not speak to soon  ::)
I've got the morning anxiety but once I'm up and moving I'm generally ok get a bit of a low mood in the afternoon though but doesn't last long.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the replies, it is so good to have this forum to gather information, & also it helps a lot, to know that you are not alone with this dreadful menopause!
I am now on day 6 of the Elleste Duo Conti, & so far feeling terrible. My flushes seem to have got worse, but also they are a bit different, I now get a ****ly feeling on my skin whilst having the hot flush, which also seems to last longer. Also had bad headache for the first few days, but that seems to have gone. Indigestion, bloating, & low abdominal ache are a few new symptoms I now have. Could anyone tell me please these are maybe side effects of the Elleste, & has anyone experienced them too? I am going to stick with it, but not sure how long I should have the side effects before I speak to my GP. I have an appointment after first pack of Elleste for a check on how it is going, but if these side effects (if that is what they are) continue or get any worse not sure if I can cope.
After all that moaning and groaning (Sorry), I do have a positive!!! I am getting some sleep now, I still wake up several times with flushes, but there is a massive improvement in the amount of quality sleep I am getting! x

I can't comment on the tablet HRT as I've never taken it although it will take a while for any side effects to settle if they are going to - 6 days is a very short time! Do give it a while longer - 3 months is the recommended trial period (unless severe reaction of course).

Marie62 - I've answered in detail on your own thread about your HRT so won't mix things up on here by commenting further otherwise we'll be playing leap-frog!

Hurdity x