Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2250 times)

jmj

« on: August 23, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »

Hello,

New member here. I'm 55  (3 years postmenopausal) and just started HRT. I intentionally avoided it, thinking it wasn't necessary, it's all natural process, bla bla. Now I'm sorry I did not start it a couple of years ago. After only a little more than a month on Estrogel - I'm seeing improvements everywhere, less odd pains and weird things happening to my body. I was on progesterone cream for a year, it helped a little in the beginning. Now I'm starting to feel normal again!

Just saying hello and thank you for this phenomenal forum!

Lanzalover

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »

Hi jmj

:welcomemm:

Pleased to hear HRT is helping.

Lanzalover x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:17:32 PM »

Hi jmj

:welcomemm: from me too! I presume you are also taking proper progesterone now you are on oestrogel as the cream is not sufficient to protect the womb on its own?

Glad you are feeling better and long may it last! :)

Hurdity x

jmj

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »

Hello lovely ladies,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm so happy I stumpled upon this forum!

Yes I'm taking progesterone pills as well, you just replied to my other post re estrogel/utro schedule.

Thank you again

JmJ

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:05:12 PM »

Salad

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »

:welcomemm: jmj

I thought I'd go through menopause 'naturally' too, unfortunately my body had other ideas  ;D

Don't know what I'd do without HRT now if I'm honest.

Hippo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:56:25 AM »

Just wandering when you say HRT makes you feel normal, do feel as if you have more energy, think positively and no longer feel as if you are a hypochondriac.
My Gp will not prescribe it for me because of the health risks and also states it just delays the symptoms. The symptoms however are interfering with every day life and work.

Salad

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 07:35:52 AM »

Just wandering when you say HRT makes you feel normal, do feel as if you have more energy, think positively and no longer feel as if you are a hypochondriac.
My Gp will not prescribe it for me because of the health risks and also states it just delays the symptoms. The symptoms however are interfering with every day life and work.

Hi Hippo- hope you don't mind me jumping in.
I totally identify with your 'hypochondriac' thought- at one time my GP told me to make weekly appointments so they could monitor my symptoms  ;D
 Taking HRT has improved my symptoms, sometimes totally, other times to the point where only one or two symptoms crop up but are manageable.
It sounds like your GP (with respect) is not very knowledgable/confident about Menopause and the use of HRT, is there another doctor at the Practice who is more interested in women's health and who may be more up to date?

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »

jmj - I welcomed you before seeing your other post!

Hi Hippo

:welcomemm: - you might find you get more welcomes if you introduce yourself on a new thread - and tell us a bit about yourself, how old you are and whereabouts in menopause re cycles etc - and then we can also advise you on what might help, if that's what you want.

I've taken HRT for 10 years, now in my 60's and there is no way I would have made any other decision. yes to all your comments - I feel "normal" ( as much as I can being post-menopause), I do have energy to do stuff and I keep hypochondria at bay - as I have few symptoms, being on HRT ( other than usual expected aches and pains etc)

In addition to Salad's point - these are the medical contra-indications to HRT:

Pregnancy
Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding
Active or recent blood clot or myocardial infarction (heart attack)
Suspected or active breast or endometrial (womb) cancer
Active liver disease with abnormal liver function tests
Porphyria cutanea tarda

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php

Maybe you have one of these conditions? If not it is a question of weighing up your individual health risks  (especially other lifestyle factors eg weight, alcohol consumption, whether you smoke etc) combined with your age.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

jmj

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »

Hi Hippo,

For starters I sleep much better. I only recently got on HRT, so this is the first I noticed, and it is a big deal for me. I'm hoping for other improvements, but time will tell.

Maybe try changing doctors? I did not even ask my GP, I went to the naturopath. Good luck to you :)

JmJ

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »

Taz x