Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estradiol valerate or hemihydrate  (Read 9052 times)

Katia

Estradiol valerate or hemihydrate
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »

Does anyone notice a difference between the two?  I have noticed that different ones are used in different HRT preperatilns.   My research has led to estradiol valerate being less reactive and slower absorbed and hemihydrate being more readily available. 

Hurdity

Re: Estradiol valerate or hemihydrate
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:47:45 AM »

Yes estradiol hemihydrate is the usual form of estradiol that is part of HRT - in tablets, patches and gel. It is two molecules of estradiol bound together by a water molecule and to all intents and purposes is estradiol ie acts on receptors etc without needing to be broken down into anything else.

According to sources on the web estradiol valerate acts as a pro-drug for estradiol and is converted in the body to estradiol and valeric acid which is quickly broken down in the body.

I can't find any info (easily to hand) on any differences in absorption or comparative bio-availability - in fact what I did read suggested that they are interchangeable due to speed of conversion of estradiol valerate. Most of the preparations given on this website list 1 mg as low dose and 2 mg as medium dose (of either type) although there is a discrepancy with the listing of one preparation (the post-menopausal HRT types).

If you have any research which demonstrates a difference in how they are absorbed or a clinical difference (in effect or rate of achieving the effect) that would be interesting.

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »

HIrdity, I did find something when I was googling the differences. Valerate is absorbed slower and is one of the reasons why it's used in injections. It's estradiol valerate that is in Qlaira and an odd HRT formulation. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find the article

Casey65

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 12:17:16 PM »

If you have any research which demonstrates a difference in how they are absorbed or a clinical difference (in effect or rate of achieving the effect) that would be interesting.

Old thread, I know, but I've just find a recent study https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-81201-y

Looks like serum estradiol levels were not significantly different with estradiol hemihydrate vs. valerate:
64.6 vs. 76.3 pg/mL for 1 mg EH / EV
104.5 vs. 108.8 pg/mL for 2 mg EH / EV