Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What age at last period?  (Read 4729 times)

robotwars

Re: What age at last period?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 07:05:53 PM »

I'm in peri, 52 and there still coming every 3 to 4 months >:(

Sooby

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »

Glad you posted this Daisys.A.Y,

I was thinking the same thing this week and was wondering if the age that you start has any bearing on when you finish... ???

peri

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »

Sooby, don't know if it's an old wives tale but I remember being told (by the health visitor who explained the facts of life to us at school) that the later you start the earlier you finish.  This has been born out for me as I didn't start my period until I was nearly 16 but finished by late forties, while my younger sister started  before me (embarrassing) at 13 and is still going strong in her early 50's x

daisysareyellow

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »

I was 48 and periods were erratic, don't think I'll ever know when I became truly menopausal as I went on hrt then to cope with the awfullness of peri menopause x

Hi Peri
What were the symptoms that made you go on HRT?

Sooby

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »

Oh dear,

Well I started on my 13th birthday and had one every 3 wks after that.  :-\ Now they come every 12 days sometimes  ::) I had this idea in my head that mine would stop in my mid 50s so I have a few years to go yet but but I'm hoping my surgery this week will bring them to an end prematurely. ???

I wonder what the common average number of menstruating years is? I guessed at 40 maybe? And I wonder if if its different for different races?

peri

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »

Hi daisysareyellow

I had a difficult peri menopause I believe.  My symptoms were mood swings which were cyclical, severe pmt, crying spells, lack of confidence and foggy thinking.  Hot flushes were the least of it, I could cope with those.  Some women need a certain level of oestrogen to feel good and I'm definitely one of them, hrt resolved all of the above for me x

daisysareyellow

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »

Hi daisysareyellow

I had a difficult peri menopause I believe.  My symptoms were mood swings which were cyclical, severe pmt, crying spells, lack of confidence and foggy thinking.  Hot flushes were the least of it, I could cope with those.  Some women need a certain level of oestrogen to feel good and I'm definitely one of them, hrt resolved all of the above for me x

When I think back on my medical history, I am wondering now whether my peri began in my early 40's. I had a prolactinoma in my late 20's that went into remission 15 years later, but around the time that it went into remission, I developed menstrual migraine that was so severe that I was eventually put on Topamax daily. I also developed Interstitial Cystitis which is under control, but usually feels worse in the lead up to a period. I know my hormones affect my IBS and IC. I also know that my migraines are caused by the drop in estrogen you get mid cycle and the beginning of your period. However, it was around the time I turned 40 that all of this cropped up.

When I had my prolactinoma which is a small tumour on the pituitary gland, my ovaries effectively shut down. I was 26 when I was diagnosed, but in the few years prior to diagnosis, I experienced all the symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes that lasted most of the day, fine hair all over my body and a general feeling of being unwell. As soon as I was put on medication, I felt normal again. Prolactinomas make you secrete prolactin and the drug they use to treat it is the same one they give to new mothers who want to dry up their breast milk. It is called Cabergoline and I took it for 15 years. The really funny thing is that I am definitely in peri and I do not get hot flashes. The only indication that I am in peri is my age (51) and the fact that my periods are so erratic. Maybe because I have 3 chronic medical conditions, I have learned to cope pretty well. I have been told that it is a miracle I function with IBS, IC and migraine, but I live a pretty normal life with only the very odd day being uncomfortable for me. In fact, the last period I had which was really heavy was more difficult to deal with that any of my medical conditions. I am curious to see how everything settles down once I am menopausal.

Can I just say that you ladies are a fantastic source of information. Every other website on peri and menopause would have you running for the doctor every 5 minutes. Now I can sit and read everyone's posts and realise that everything I am experiencing is common and some people have it much worse than I do.

Katia

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »

I'm 50 and still going
Pages: 1 [2]