Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Question re weight and hrt  (Read 2266 times)

Annidav

Question re weight and hrt
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

Hi - sorry if this is a daft question but I understood the purpose of HRT is to re-balance the unbalanced hormones caused by menopause. If that is the case, and my hormones are being re-balanced, how come I simply cannot shift the weight I have put on over the past couple of years despite following diets, regular sessions at the gym, walking more than I have ever walked before now that we have a dog?

Salad

Re: Question re weight and hrt
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »

I've asked my GP the same thing - no answer apart from some women do experience this and once through the menopause things might change.
I know if my HRT is balanced then I can eat well otherwise I just crave carbs/sugar. I've read somewhere about 'inability to lose weight' but not sure if it was related to Insulin Resistance, oestrogen dominance or low Testosterone  ::)

Keep eating well and exercising for now as I guess that's all you can do.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:21:42 AM »

I now eat roughly half the amount I used to pre meno but I still have some nasty fat sitting around my hips - that's the joy of aging. Diets are a mistake and will result in weight gain -  one simply has to eat a lot less permanently and cut out as much sugar and fat as possible. DG x

Katia

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »

I agree Salad.  If the hormones are balanced, it's easy to stick to healthy food.  If the hrt, or hormones are all over the place, then so is the food.  I find then I just want to snack and pick and not eat proper meals.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »

It is the fat that is more important than weight per se - since if you increase exercise and start a lot of resistance training - then the extra weight could be muscle. Only you know what it is though! As Dancinggirl says - less food and more exercise as you reach menopause - just to stay the same weight - approx. I am on a permanent diet in that there are certain foodstuffs I eat very little of permanently - to keep my weight down into my 60's - and if i indulge at all - it goes back on (as it has done recently). I eat almost no sugar ( except fruit sugar), no regular juice/smoothies, rarely biscuits, cake etc, hardly any cheese, hardly ever do I eat carb rich food with my evening meal ( ie potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry), very little fried food, low fat protein, low fat yog etc etc, only muesli (no added sugar of course) 3 or 4 times a week for breakfast - otherwise fruit yogurt and protein, and veg. Do have some alcohol ( puts a lot of weight on!) mainly at weekends - but only a couple of glasses. I do two exercise classes per week, go for walks, do the garden etc - and still find it hard to keep weight down!!!

There was a thread recently somewhere on fat redistribution and the role of hormones.

It is easy to stick to healthy snacks as well as cutting calories by substituting low cal stuff for your favourite things - even chips - you can bake in the oven with Frylight if you can't resist them :). G & T (slimline) is the lowest calorie alcoholoic drink - but I hate S/L tonic but have the Fever Tree naturally light....

Cutting out sugar and refined carbs and increasing low fat protein and lots of fruit and veg is the best way to stabilise blood sugar levels and reverse insulin resistance ( as much as is possible during peri when hormones are surging).

Also - have you had your thyroid checked? Some women have a tendency to become hypothyroid near menopause - if so you should ask for actual results because some women get symptoms even within normal range.

Hurdity x

weathergirl

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »

Another thought in all this is caffeine/stimulants.  They are taxing to the adrenals and overuse (and that amount really depends on the person!) probably keeps cortisol up.  I have found - at least in the past - that my weight always stayed lower if I limited or entirely eliminated coffee/caffeinated drinks from my diet.  I think it helps with blood sugar in some way.  Although coffee and tea do have many health benefits.    :-\

I think what works for one person, doesn't for another.   The body will quickly adapt to a reduced calorie intake and the metabolism may compensate by slowing down. Just google about 'menopause and can't lose weight" and you get many hits of people restricting calories and exercising regularly and still not losing!   :(  Maybe this changes, though, once the body has been in menopause for a number of years?  I don't know.  I wish I did though!    ;D

One thing I'm finding out (at least for myself) is that adrenal health seems very important.  If the adrenals are overtaxed by lack of proper restorative sleep, poor diet, excess sugar/sweets/stimulants/alcohol, stress from work and/or home life - they need to be rested and restored.  Like Hurdity and others here are saying, eating 'cleanly' and getting adequate exercise seem the best ways to go.   8)

Katia

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »

I was finding I could eat more on HRT than I could on the pill. I had a week off and it was great. Into the second week and I just couldn't stop eating. ive gone up a size and now have to go back down a size