Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estrogel  (Read 4068 times)

Hills

Estrogel
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »

Has anyone used estrogel to help anxiety, I've been on Prozac for 16 weeks and it hasn't touched it, been to see professor stubb and he thinks this could be menapause related, how long if any of you have used it did it take to work x

Peroxideblader

Re: Estrogel
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »

Hi there I took prozac had no luck but I've been alot better on escitalopram I started on 20mg now I'm on 10 I did come off it thinking I was OK but then had a major breakdown so went back on it 4 years ago and I'm staying on it. If I was diabetic I'd take insulin so I have a dodgy wire in my brain so I take an AD . By all means keep with prozac if you want but improvement is usually seen in 8 to 10 weeks and you're over that or increase your dose.  Good luck

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »

I had the same experience as Peroxideblader here, also take escitalopram 5mg.

I did come off it thinking I was OK but then had a major breakdown so went back on it and I'm staying on it. If I was diabetic I'd take insulin so I have a dodgy wire in my brain so I take an AD .

My doctor explained to me about deficiency, not weakness and that I don't stop taking my thyroxine so why did I think I shoud stop taking my serotonin support.  Some people's brains make enough, others just enough or not quite enough and therefore need support.  :)

I can't comment on HRT as I have not used it, sorry.

Ljp

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »

Hi I can't comment on AD's as never used them, anxiety was one the worst menopausal symptoms for me, there were time I really thought I was going crazy, overthinking was horrendous.
I have been on estrogel alongside Mirena coil for 20 months and I feel so much better, brain fog, and overthinking and anxiety all much better, occasional glitches but only an odd day or so.

Hills

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »

How long did it take for estrogel to help your anxiety ? I've been on it for eight weeks x

Ljp

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »

It was a gradual improvement, but at least 6 months before I had that thought that I wasn't feeling so out of control, a feeling of optimism.

8 weeks is no time at all, you need to give any new HRT regime at least 3 months before you can judge how it's suiting you x

paisley

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »

Oestrogel was too high for me & made me worse. Gave me too many spikes. I do agree on the posts for ADs. If we are diabetic we take insulin, if we have something wrong with our thyroid we take thyroxine & so if there is something wrong with our brains why not take ADs. It replaces the serotonin in our brains. Too many people stereotype them & feel embarrassed to take them

Hills

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »

I'm on Prozac to and it hasn't helped at all so coming of at the moment 😰

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »

Has anyone used estrogel to help anxiety, I've been on Prozac for 16 weeks and it hasn't touched it, been to see professor stubb and he thinks this could be menapause related, how long if any of you have used it did it take to work x

HRT including oestrogel - is the first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms including anxiety and low mood - if this is new onset at time of peri-menopause and there is no particular reason for you to feel this way other than your hormones. If you are in early peri-menopause your hormones will still be fluctuating widely and sometimes it does take a while to settle onto the right regime. Have you read this article on peri-menopause? https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

I am sure you know that there are many other strategies to help you cope with anxiety than medication and as you are withdrawing from Prozac you might like to search some of the threads on the forum, where you will find plenty of suggestions, books, websites, techniques etc

Whereabouts are you in menopause eg re your periods ( before you started HRT -and how old are you? Also what dose of oestrogel and are you taking a progestogen too ( you won't be if you have a Mirena or have had a hysterectomy)?

Hopefully you will feel better soon :)

Hurdity x

Hills

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »

I'm 49 and think I'm well into perimenopause, on was on 3 pumps of estrogel, but not helping anxiety so professor studd has increased it to 4 pumps, anxiety inmornings is awfull, got more avoid so only need estrogel, driving me nuts x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »

OK - some of your post doesn't make sense! ?more avoid????

Some women need testosterone as well - but depends where in menopause you are and other symptoms.

Hurdity x

Hills

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »

Sorry I'm on estrogel and have been for 9 weeks also on testosterone, coming of Prozac as it's not touching it x

Trufflecat

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 05:43:06 PM »

I'm on Oestrogel for pms, and Utrogestan to (Ihate that part though and really do think I'm intolerant of it). I started on the regime about 18/12 ago and was 52 but still having periods, although they were a bit irregular.  I would say the gel has definitely helped with the anxiety and mood swings.