Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Confused about Soya HRT and Thyroxine  (Read 7637 times)

warwick01

Confused about Soya HRT and Thyroxine
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »

Hi... me again :-\

If you've been following my threads you will know I take 125 thyroxine daily for treatment for underactive thyroid. However taking soya has made me really sick recently.

My question is Eusrodol is made from soya extract the surly this wil cause a problem with the absorbtion of thyroxin and in my case may cause me to feel nauseas.

Interested to hear your coments

W

corona

Re: Confused about Soya HRT and Thyroxine
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »

I presume it will affect you. i took soya for meno symptoms without realising that soya and thyroxine dont play well together. I felt extremely nauseous. you have my sympathies. I would ask your Doc for something with none of that evil stuff in it....lol..... :)

Melbury

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »

I am also on 125mcg of thyroxine per day.  I am sure I read somewhere that you should avoid soya products completely if you are on thyroxine.

corona

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

yes....it inhibits absorption....i think....and it makes you feel bloody awful too......also if you need to take iron or glucosamine you should take them hours apart from your thyroxine

Val.M

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »

Hi Warwick

Hope you don't mind me asking but what is Eusrodol?  I've recently become Lactose intolerant but haven't heard of this product...

Valxx

warwick01

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »

Hi Val

Sorry - eustrodol is nateral estrogen in HRT. However as per my previous post...... Soya should not be taken with thyroxine and because I have been feeling so sick, my concerns are should we be concerned about taking throxine with soya hrt?

Do these GP's really know about these contraindications?

W

Val.M

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

Ah - do you mean estradiol??  Think that's it :-\ 

If it's an oral HRT then there may well be interactions but if it's Transdermal, eg - a patch or gel, hopefully this wouldn't affect the Thyroxine? 

I would definitely ask your GP about this - better to be safe than sorry ;)

Valxx

clio

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »

Hi ladies just been reading your posts and found it very interesting.  Ive been taking thyroxine for the past 3 months, however ive noticed that I sometimes feel sick but couldn't understand why, when you mention soya what exactly do you mean by soya, sorry if its a daft question.

Clio

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

I am the ex thyroid info charity advisor - this is what I was taught.  Soya supresses the thyroid gland so even in someone who has a normal thyroid eating large amounts of soya can make your thyroid underactive. In somoene with an already underactive thyroid on medication then they may need to up their meds.

As long as soya or its derivatives are absorbed into the blood stream from any source ( skin patches are absorbed into the bloodstream) then this can affect your thyroid and your level of medication.

I would suggest that anyone using any form of hormones be it synthetic or natural that they have their thyroid tested at least every 6 months if not every 3 months.

Rivadan

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

I'm confused. I take 100mcgs Thyroxine and have been on 1mg estradiol for 3 years! No sickness, no problems with the thyroid. Am I missing something? Or is Eusrodol something different - is it the kind of HRT you buy from health food shops?

I'm aware that HRT in general can create a need for Thyroxine dosage to be increased but I've never read anywhere that estradiol should be avoided.

KindredSpirit56

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »

I first started on HRT with estradiol patches & I have a underactive thyroid I actually found I had to lower my thyroxine. I was taking 175mcg and it gradually went now on 112mcg the Dr couldn't understand it!