Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1132 times)

Ruby soho

Hello!
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:50:47 PM »

My first menopausal symptoms started at the end of 2015. I had a blood test about 6 months later and my doctor told me I was 80% through the menopause! So he was a bit concerned when I told him my periods had started again after a 6 month break! Had various tests done culminating in a hysteroscopy but nothing untoward found. My doctor is lovely but is a young man so don't know how much he knows about the menopause. Have joined forum so can share experiences with others and maybe get some reassurance with what I'm going through!

Taz2

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »

Hi Ruby soho - welcome to the forum!

Your experience of being investigated for bleeding when there may be no need is not unusual but it is common during peri menopause to go months without periods only to have them start again. The only time that there is cause for concern is if you have gone for at least twelve months without a period and then experience one - this has to be reported to your GP so that anything nasty can be ruled out. My own GP told me, at the age of 51, that I would never have another period as I had gone nine months without but they started up again during the tenth month and went back to being regular (ish) for another two years before I started HRT. Blood tests are really unreliable during peri menopause as our hormones fluctuate so much that they differ from day to day.

I'm not sure how old you are and what other symptoms you are experiencing but there is so much info on this site and lots of advice and humour too so don't be afraid to ask anything and someone will soon get back to you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Ruby soho

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »

Hi Taz2. Thanks for your reply. I turned 50 this year. I have had hot flushes and night sweats and irregular periods, but not at the same time. It's one or the other. I have just had 2 periods after not having one since last October. Got a bit cocky and thought that was that! Don't think I'll bother my doctor otherwise he might send me for tests again. Am grateful that he did though. My mum died of cancer 5 years ago so guess they are being cautious. It's better than them just dismissing me. I don't take anything for it. Don't feel the need-yet! Am glad I found this forum. 😊

CaroleM

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »

Just popping in to say hello and welcome. :hug:

Ruby soho

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »

Hello! Been having a look round the forum. There's a lot to take in! Hoping though to become very acquainted with it!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »

Hi Ruby soho

:welcomemm: from me too.

Sorry to hear about your mum - what cancer did she have? If you are coping OK now then that's great, but even if your mother had breast cancer it doesn't necessarily preclude you from taking HRT in the future if your symptoms become troublesome, although I would understand your nervousness about this in the circumstances.

In the meantime read up as much as you can and perhaps think about taking steps to improve your overall health and well-being if necessary - which will stand you in good stead for the  future - eg improving diet, taking more exercise, losing weight, reducing alcohol intake, stopping smoking, reducing stress etc  - if necessary. All these steps will help to reduce overall cancer risk.

As Taz says - there is so much info and help on this website and forum so hope you enjoy being a member - there is always someone to chat to! :)

Hurdity x

Happytobe

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:06:57 PM »

I was sent for scans and a biopsy for post menopausal bleeding when my periods started up after gaps without. The longest gap had only been 9 weeks!  My Dr told me that my blood tests showed my FSH was high and therefore I was post menopausal so I wasn't having periods and the bleed could be something else. I was extremely worried and went through a few weeks of stress and anxiety until I was told all was ok. I think my GP was being very cautious and of course I would have been very grateful for that if anything had indeed been wrong. She is a good GP. The consultant at the hospital told me that they do not take too much notice of blood hormone levels as they can change daily.