Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT supply issues  (Read 2746 times)

Pansypots

HRT supply issues
« on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »

This month my GP changed my 'scrip from Cyclo progynover to Elleste Duet and it's been truly awful! Having gone back to him to review it, he decided to change my scrip to Femoston 2/10. The reason it got changed in the first place was due to supply issues. I asked him what the problem was and he said that due to the government getting into a fracas with many drug companies over prices, the drug companies have now basically told the NHS to sod off! This is leading to many medicines, HRT types being just one, that are becoming unavailable.
He said his preferred choices for HRT weren't available. He ended up having to do into the pharmacy to talk to the pharmacist to "see what they can get"! This stuff isn't expensive and the double prescription charge more than covers the cost. This is utterly ridiculous!  Is anyone else finding issues? 😡

Salad

Re: HRT supply issues
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »

When I was told there were no Estradot patches by a pharmacy and I'd have to change my prescription, I rang the manufacturer. The manufacturer said it was a distribution problem and if the pharmacy contacted them directly they would send them my supply. This has been happening for quite a while now - I'm just happy to get my HRT  :)

wombat62

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:06:05 AM »

Hi there

This has been happening all over the place with Estroldil products. I've had a devil of a job trying to get my patches and it's been a case of walking into the pharmacy at the right time, plus eaking out a patch to 6/7 days to make them last. They keep changing the date the supply is supposed to be back to normal.

I too had to change to a patch and pill but the pill progesterone really upset my boobs and it took weeks for them to get back to normal once I was back on the patches.

I just hope that they can sort out whatever the issue is around the world, I can't face going back to what I was swapped to...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »

It's nowt new but puts GPs into a huge problem.  NHS hasn't paid what has been requested to the various Companies across the board, Drug Companies know that they can sell to Mainland Europe and get what is asked - so they sell where they will get the most profit.  GPs often don't get told which drug is in short supply until the patient can't access it.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »

Which is why most of my prescriptions are for generic brands. I get what is available.