Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Will taking HRT bring back epileptic seizures  (Read 2201 times)

Footymum115

Will taking HRT bring back epileptic seizures
« on: August 17, 2017, 11:33:04 PM »

Hi after 6 years of peri menopause started at 38 and now I'm in menopause, I've finally agreed to go on HRT. Sleepless nights, anxiety, flushes, migraines, increases IBD flare ups have reduced me to mood swings, daily rage and sheer exhaustion. I've now read the leaflet of my HRT and it mentions risk of seizure increase, I've been seizure free for 17 years and don't want to risk having a seizure by taking HRT.  Does anyone know more or is an epileptic on HRT.

Katejo

Re: Will taking HRT bring back epileptic seizures
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:47:14 AM »

Hi after 6 years of peri menopause started at 38 and now I'm in menopause, I've finally agreed to go on HRT. Sleepless nights, anxiety, flushes, migraines, increases IBD flare ups have reduced me to mood swings, daily rage and sheer exhaustion. I've now read the leaflet of my HRT and it mentions risk of seizure increase, I've been seizure free for 17 years and don't want to risk having a seizure by taking HRT.  Does anyone know more or is an epileptic on HRT.
  Are you still taking medication for epilepsy?  I was concerned about using Estriol cream because there was a mention of interaction with epilepsy medication but it hasn't caused any problem. That only has local application. I can't comment on any other type. I have always held off trying it. Partly for this reason.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:18:02 AM »

Hi footymum115 welcome to MM
You doctor must be aware of your epilepsy so wouldn't have prescribed HRT if there was a problem. As Katejo has said, I would just check with your doctor or the chemist if there are any contraindications with any drugs you take for epilepsy.
You are young and need HRT to protect your heart and bones for the long term and finding the right HRT will help many of the meno symptoms you are getting.  HRT isn't a cure all but it can give you your quality Of life back.
Katejo - if you a using local
Oestrogen cream for VA then you don't need to worry - so little is absorbed systemically.
DG x

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »

Hi footymum115 welcome to MM
You doctor must be aware of your epilepsy so wouldn't have prescribed HRT if there was a problem. As Katejo has said, I would just check with your doctor or the chemist if there are any contraindications with any drugs you take for epilepsy.
You are young and need HRT to protect your heart and bones for the long term and finding the right HRT will help many of the meno symptoms you are getting.  HRT isn't a cure all but it can give you your quality Of life back.
Katejo - if you a using local
Oestrogen cream for VA then you don't need to worry - so little is absorbed systemically.
DG x
Yes I am not worried about the local application. I haven't tried any other type. I seem to be less severely affected than some and also my practice isn't keen on prescribing HRT. This doesn't inspire me to discuss it with them/have confidence in their advice.