Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coming out as menopausal  (Read 2752 times)

babyjane

Coming out as menopausal
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

Why, oh why, are so many ladies reluctant to be open about being menopausal.  I have found this to be the case time and again when chatting to ladies I know and those I meet casually.

A neighbour (my age) yesterday asked me how I am and I said I was doing ok but the menopause doesn't make it easy.  She grimaced, pulled a face and her response was 'yes, well, we don't talk about that do we'.

Why on earth not!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please talk freely and openly about your menopause experience for the sake of the next generation of women.

ancient runner

Re: Coming out as menopausal
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »

Absolutely agree with you - I am heartened by how there's now a generation of women in the public eye (Kirsty Wark, Jeanette Winterton, etc) who are talking about it in interviews. And I do pipe up about it, though since my main problem is VA that's a whole extra level of reticence to overcome.

paisley

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

I think a lot don't talk about it because it doesn't bother them much & cant understand why it affects some women. I have spoken to casual friends about it & they have looked at me like I am crazy when I have spoken about my awful time & quickly changed the subject as though it is catching

warwick01

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »

Babyjane

I agree.... over many years I have tried to talk to other women like friends and neighbours but according to everyone I speak to no one seems to have any problems. Surly I can't be the only women in Manchester to suffer with a bad menopause???

I have become so isolated and a bit of a recluse due to all my menopause symptoms eg dizziness/off balance, anxiety panic attacks. I WILL NOT GIVE UP ;)

Wx

Artmouse

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »

Totally agree.  It's OK to mention to other women that you are not feeling great because of 'that time of month' or that you have pains but you can't say you are menopausal!?

walkingthedog

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »

I have always been open about my menopause it hit me like a ton of bricks when it started due to the silence surrounding it, so i have gone the other way , even my 18 year old son knows about it, in fact the other week he was telling me about his friends mum and he said to.me can you stil buy them chillow pillows !

Sweetscarlett

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »

Totally agree it's definitely a taboo subject , especially agree with Ancient runner about VA issues - my mother was loathe to ever mention it.
Although I have a friend who continually blames the menopause for absolutely everything  !
💜Ssx
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:59:42 PM by Sweetscarlett »

Butterfly22

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »

I'm really open about it but as I started it at 25 guess it's been a big part of my life and effects certain things.
The response I normally get even now is oh your far to young for that but I just say no I am I can assure you.
I also guess I suffered bad with endrometrosis and was open about this, so had "lady's" problems since 13 so plenty of time to get use to it 😏Xx

Maryjane

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »

I am glad the rich and famous are coming forward, but VA like I and many have is so brushed under the carpet I am going to keep banging that door I can tell you...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »

I would like to see big posters in every GP surgery listing all the possible meno symptoms and encouraging patients to seek advice and help.
If they want women to work into their late 60s then we need appropriate treatment for our meno symptoms and also to allow us to have some quality of life.
I have given up on systemic HRT now as the side effects of progesterone are too unpleasant but will continue with Vagifem for the rest of my life.
 It's over a year now since I stopped systemic HRT and my general health has deteriorated in many ways  - oestrogen deficiency has a lot to answer for and they need to find better ways of giving us the hormones we need with fewer side effects.
RANT OVER.  DGxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 08:03:48 AM »

Good to hear from you but sorry to hear this Dancingirl - and I agree totally.

Hurdity x :bighug:

Wrensong

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »

I agree that frustratingly, it still seems to be taboo, but as already said, the rising profile in the media is brilliant.  Was stunned when it seemed to hit me so hard that I really needed to talk about it for reassurance, or to explain guilt at being under par, but was repeatedly met with embarrassed silence or a swift change of subject from other women my age & older, who must have been going through it or had already done so.  Felt let down by my own sex!

Dancinggirl, your big GP poster idea is brilliant - I'd wanted the NHS to send out booklets to all women approaching menopause age, but that would be too expensive & miss any younger women unfortunate enough to get there early.  So sorry to know you're suffering without the HRT - had noticed you were posting less often & missed your upbeat, helpful advice.  Learned a lot from your posts before joining, so want to say a big thank you - members like you, who've posted regularly over the years to help other women are worth their weight in gold.  :thankyou:

You are so right about the need for better treatment.  Stating the absolutely obvious, but affects 50% of the population if lucky to live long enough, yet still so few options, especially for the troublesome progesterone.  Have often thought if it afflicted men, it'd have been sorted long ago.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:41:46 AM by Wrensong »