Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Average thickness of lining with mirena coil  (Read 10344 times)

ann58

Average thickness of lining with mirena coil
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »

A few weeks ago I had very slight spotting of blood and my doctor sent an urgent referral. I am 5 years post menopause. I had a colposcopy last week and everything was fine. Today I had a transvaginal scan and she said my lining looks about 5mm. I have a mirena coil and oestrogen patches. I thought the coil kept the lining thinner? I have to wait for the consultant to look at the results but I am very worried.

dahliagirl

Re: Average thickness of lining with mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »

I am not sure about lining measurements.  How long have you had your Mirena?

ann58

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »

It will be 4 years next May.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 08:03:37 PM »

I was on HRT and I was told that my lining of 5mm was fine. The progesterone was doing it's job of keeping the lining thin. Without the progesterone the radiographer said my lining could be as high as 20mm or more. The important thing is that the lining is uniform with no darker patches if I remember correctly. Let us know how you get on. Try not to worry too much. The guidelines are that you would have had to be referred urgently for investigation due to being more than a year post menopause.

Taz x

Dollydream

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »

Hi Ann

I use the mirena/oestrogel regime and had spotting/bleeding 7 months after having the mirena fitted. I had a scan which showed 11mm thickness followed the next day by a hysteroscopy where it was reported that the endometrium and the posterior wall were mildly thickened.  The gynae added to his report that this was possibly normal for someone on HRT.  I had a endometrial biopsy taken at the same time and this was fine.
I still get the odd bout of spotting 3 months later but I believe this is the mirena doing it's job.  Try not to worry too much, I'm sure that if the person doing the scan saw anything untoward you would have been contacted quickly for further investigations.  Let us know how you get on.

DollyD xx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »

Hi Dollydream - are you post-menopausal? I imagine once the Mirena has been in a while and the endometrium has settled - if you are post-menopausal it would end up being thinner than 11 mm, but if you are still having a cycle of some sort then there will still be some ebbing and flowing (of the thickness) as the cycle comes and goes each month or so, but may not be enough to cause a proper period?

ann58 - I definitely would not be overly worried by 5 mm but would be happy to have any investigations offered on NHS! Mine's usually around this measurement or 4.5 mm - on HRT, when it's been scanned post-bleed. In fact with the Mirena - it's better that it is slightly thicker because sometimes if the oestrogen dose is not high enough and you are post-meno, it can thin too much (with Mirena) causing endometrial atrophy, ulceration and spotting/bleeding.

Let us know how you get on ...

Hurdity x

Dollydream

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Not sure if I am post meno as I've been trying different HRT regime's for almost 2 years and I'd only gone 7 months without a period when starting (I'm 52).
What I have wondered though (sorry to hijack this thread Ann) is if a scan shows 11mm and then a hysteroscopy 24 hours later shows a "mildly thickened endometrium" which is more accurate - the scan or the hysteroscopy?  I wouldn't have thought 11mm would be described as mildly thickened but that was how the gynaecologist described it on his report following the hysteroscopy.

DollyD x

ann58

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »

I have had a letter today saying "The endometrium measured around 6mm which is slightly thicker than anticipated. In view of the thickened endometrium we have enclosed an appointment for you to attrend the clinic for a hysteroscopy and biopsy on 24th October"
I'm getting really anxious now.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 05:11:42 PM »

Try not to worry - 6 mm is still not at all thick!!! It's marginally over the limit for post-menopause.

While on HRT mine was 7 or 8 at one point and had the same (because I had had a bit of spotting at the wrong time) and also had hysteroscopy and biopsy because they could see an abnormality on the scan - which turned out to be a small fibroid which has since shrunk despite HRT.

Hope the appointment goes well and I presume you are going to a main hospital for it? I was in an out within 15 - 20 mins I would say. Bit undignified with my feet up in stirrups but hey! Be sure to take the painkillers they advise an hour before-hand and hopefully all will be OK (2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol).

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »

Thank you :)  I had one a couple of years ago and they never told me to take pain meds and haven't this time. The last one I had was more painful than childbirth! My GP has asked that it be done by the gynecologist this time and not one of his team. They also told me to expect some spotting of blood after but when I stood up it gushed out of me.
They didn't give me any local anesthetic either so I am going to take diazepam before I go in. 

ann58

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »

I have had another spotting of blood this morning  :'(

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »

Please try not to worry! Your lining is not very thick and you are in good hands now you are in the system.... can you keep yourself busy - work, walks, activities etc and especially something positive each day - until your appointment?

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, ye I am trying to keep myself busy. I have generalised anxiety disorder already so anything like this makes it worse.

ann58

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 08:32:30 PM »

I had the hysteroscopy and biopsy last week and still waiting for results but he did sat he couldn't see anything nasty.
He said it could be the hrt. I am still having spotting of blood and also my breasts are becoming tender. This makes me think it could be the her...maybe too much oestrogen? Would it be the oestrogen or the progesterone?

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »

Thanks for the update. It could be either, although less likely due to progestogen in Mirena as you've had it for some time. However it's great that everything looked OK! If your lining is slightly thicker than normal it could be that you would benefit from a new Mirena although it should last a bit longer? What dose patches are you using and how old are you?

Hurdity x