Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Am I going through perimenopause  (Read 3068 times)

grannyshaz50

Am I going through perimenopause
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:42 PM »

Hi everyone,
Am new on here, so bear with me if you can :). I'm 50 yrs old, & just need a bit of reassuring that I'm not going bonkers! For the past 2 years & maybe longer when I think about it I've had the most crippling anxiety episodes, muscle aches/pains, sore tendons, hair loss, dry skin, dry eyes, dry mouth/throat, horrible metallic taste, crashing fatigue, insomnia, hot sweats, palps & lots more! Been to Drs & explained so many times......keep getting fobbed off & even told me I was too young for menopause! Had bloods done to check for other poss things but came back ok. Still having periods, but they've been a bit hit & miss. Am so fed up of feeling like this, I don't want to go anywhere or see people, as I'm scared & have to put on a brave face when I do when inside I feel so ill. I have a great hubby & 2 fab grown up daughter & son, they're most understanding & caring, but feel sad about not feeling like the old me a few years ago, want to be that happy bubbly person again. Sorry to rant on, just needed to off load I think xxxxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Am I going through perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:01:46 PM »

Hi and welcome
Sounds typical for peri meno to me. Browse around the site to get clued up.
You're not going bonkers - the meno journey can be tough but this site is here to help. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:14 PM »

Yep - I agree with DG -  :welcomemm:

If there is a Practice Nurse you may find her more sympathetic.  NO age is too young for menopause  >:(.  GPs do like to put us into boxes.

There is a green box with 'treatment', do browse.  Make notes.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

Anxiety can be the hardest issue at The Change.  Some find that HRT can help but finding one that suits can take months, in the mean time an anti-anxiety drug 'as necessary' or an anti-depressant medication which is known to ease anxiety can be prescribed.  Some of the latter are known to ease flushes too!

grannyshaz50

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »

Thank you DG, will have a browse. It's comforting to know it's not just me. Have been reading up on some of the posts & it's fab the information & help other women have for each other xx :)

grannyshaz50

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »

Thank you CLKD,
Will have a browse & get some info. Thanks for the kind words, gives me a bit of comfort that I aren't going mad! Xx :o

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:42:18 PM »

It's not called The Change for nowt  >:(  ::)

grannyshaz50

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »

Does anyone have problems with allergy changes during peri? Have noticed when I've been for a longish brisk walk I get a bit wheezy & a dry cough. I've always had problems with my sinuses, like rhinitis itchy nose & eyes, hayfever etc. Had quite a few throat viruses in the past, had really bad tonsillitis about 3 yrs ago. Perhaps always breathing through my mouth doesn't help, especially when asleep & when I'm anxious! ::). I'm at the drs next week about other peri problems anyway so will mention. I've read up that allergy changes can arise during peri & Meno, blimey another symptom to add to list! Grateful to hear from any other ladies going through same. Hope all you ladies are having an okish day today xxxxxxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »

I'm a long term epipens carrier for anaphylaxis but just before peri started I developed asthma. It's been quite bad at times and I get really random allergic reactions since meno and quite often

grannyshaz50

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »

Bless you Annie, you sound like you've had your fair share of problems! What it's like to be a woman hey ::). Relieved I'm not the only one. Big hug xx

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »

Hi grannyshaz50

:welcomemm:

Too young for menopause at 50 - doc doesn't know what s/he's talking about!!! Considering the average age of natural menopause is 51 - that is reaching menopause (no periods) - then a lot of women will become peri-menopausal in their 40's ie periods beginning to go awry.

You say your periods are hit and miss - what do you mean by that? If your cycle length has changed and is very variable especially if your period sometimes late - then you are peri-menopausal. Blow the blood tests - they can't tell you a lot re menopause. I presume thyroid problems have been ruled out but do ask for the readings for TSH etc and all the results of your last blood tests so that you can see for yourself.

If your cycle has gone wonky then you are a prime candidate for HRT and you don't need to suffer - provided there is no medical reason why you cannot take it!

Great that you have a doc appointment next week to discuss. Whatever happens - unless you cannot take HRT - don't let them fob you off with anti-depressants which is what some ill-informed docs do - these are not first line of treatment for menopause.

In the meantime read up as much as you can from the info on this website, and perhaps take a look at your overall lifestyle in case there are any changes which might be beneficial at this point eg diet, body weight/BMI, exercise, sleep, smoking, alcohol, stress....

Let us know re the cycle?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »

Take a list of symptoms to your GP to talk about.

grannyshaz50

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »

Hi everyone,
Been to the doctors today. Had a good chat about everything that's been going on. Gave me a good check over..... listened to my heart & lungs, sats 100% all good apart from my blood pressure up a bit, & has been on & off for a while. May be put on meds for that if it continues. Have a prescription for vagifem 10mcg vaginal tabs to help dryness. Do they get into your system to help with other symptoms? Anyone who can give me any information on them, I'd be very grateful as am a bit scared about it......read leaflet & frightened myself to death lol :o xxxxx