Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: First Doc appointment tomorrow  (Read 1169 times)

wend123

First Doc appointment tomorrow
« on: August 15, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »

After having a terrible week of sleeping or should I say lack of it! I have decided to go to the doctor. I have had symptoms for about 10months and have been putting up with it. Trying herbal things.
I have the coil in which as I understand replces one part of the hormone that I am losing.
Basically I wondered if anyone can tell me what should I expect from the appointment and can I tell them what I would prefer? I have read lots and think the gel HRT would be suitable with already having the coil.
Oh on a side note, does anyone get night sweats that make them feel sick. I woke up 2 nights ago and felt so sick with them. Not just sick 'of' them lol

Salad

Re: First Doc appointment tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »

Hey  :)

Pretty much what you've written here - I'd make a list of all your symptoms and the impact they are having on your life. Then say you've been reading up on HRT, in particular the gel and would like to give it a go- then ask GP what they think.

Nausea/vomitting associated with hot flushing was a reason my friend started on HRT as she had to run out of important meetings to vomit whilst trying to do her job  :sick02:

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »

Wend123, I would definitely make a point of asking for Oestrogel because it is very easily absorbed and it is very easy to quickly adjust the dose up or down as required. 

Like you, I had a Mirena coil pre-menopause and when I found out my oestrogen levels had dropped, I started using patches but they were not strong enough and I couldn't get anything like enough oestrogen out of them.  The progesterone in the coil is strong and quite a lot of it gets into your overall system so you need a good dose of oestrogen to combat menopause symptoms. 

I was told it is not a good idea to have a Mirena coil without adequate oestrogen because it can cause vaginal irritation and over thinning of the womb lining. 

I had my coil removed but wish I had tried using it with Oestrogel before giving up on it because it think it would have worked better.  Personally, I am far happier with gel than patches.  I am now on the Oestrogel/Utrogestan regime. 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »

Yes great - as you have the coil oestrogen only HRT will do just fine. I use patches as I've never tried the gel but whatever you like the sound of really. Do you know where you are in menopause? Presumably your periods have stopped because of the coil so you won't know how far on you are in terms of natural periods? The coil is licensed for HRT for 4 years but continues to give out some progestogen for a while longer.

The oestrogen only preparations (including the two different types of gel) are listed here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x