Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 3575 times)

Wannabewell

I'm new
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »

Just to say hello  :)

I've been in peri for around 7 years.  My GP still reckons I'm too young, I'm 48, but a gynaecologist said that I was in peri.

I have had ME for 11 years and as symptoms overlap I suppose it can be easy for my GP to relate everything to that.

I've had terrible night sweats, insomnia, dry skin, thinning skin and hair, vaginal dryness etc.

Recently my peri symptoms have gotten more intense and I've started to have mood changes too.  There is a cyclic timing becoming apparent, though I haven't diarised it.

I have had episodes of missed and irregular periods over last few years, lighter too.  Recently, though, I've missed two consecutive periods and have had cramping, this is new. Also new is severe nausea and the mood changes, I don't feel like myself when they develop.

I did a pregnancy test, it was negative.  It wasn't likely that I'd be pregnant but as the symptoms have changed, somewhat, I thought it best to check.

I'm having a rough time lately.  That's how I've found this forum.

Is it likely that I'm now closer to menopause?

I keep thinking about HRT but am worried that it'd make those horrible mood changes worse....they scare me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:56:52 PM by Wannabewell »

Salad

Re: I'm new
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »

:welcomemm:

You've come to the right place Wannabewell  :)
Lots of information about your symptoms in the threads so have a read.
Sounds like you're definitely peri/menopausal- HRT can be a lifesaver so don't rule it out but you do need a supportive GP to help you through.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »

Oh Join the Club!  Your GP needs a  :kick:  No one is ever too young, some girls have 1 or 2 periods then stop, some ladies go into peri with intermittent bleeds as early as 30 ......... have a look-see at the Daisy web-site for more on that, then maybe tell your GP?

Nausea can be due to the body being hungry.  I was advised by Dr K Dalton (see current thread ;-) ) to eat every 3 hours, even through the night.  To stop that awful drop and lurch when the gut needs feeding.  I have safe foods to carry: bananas, dried fruits and nuts, Dextrose tablets advised by profession walkers/cyclists, energy bars ......... to eat B4 my body is hungry  ;) which isn't always easy as when not hungry, I forget !  ::)

Try to eat a couple of biscuits B4 getting out of bed?  Cut back on alcohol and ciggies.  If you can, exercise several times a week as this helps stave off osteoporosis.

Browse round, make notes !
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:41:47 PM by CLKD »

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

Hi Wannabewell

:welcomemm: from me too!

Maybe your ME is actually due to hormones - which have profound effects on women's health and well-being and some women have insufficient oestrogen ( and maybe testosterone) for years - even before being peri-menopausal - which could lead to tiredness, depression lethargy etc?

This is why these diagnoses can sometimes be unhelpful because the docs may then put you in a box and as you say - attribute everything to that without actually considering a hormonal explanation. I agree your doc needs a boot for not considering menopause. You are at a very typical age for peri-menopause and the Daisy Network is not for you - this is generally for women with POI ie under the age of 40 although premature menopause ( ie complete cessation of periods) before age 45 counts as premature menopause. This is the right place for you in your position!

Have you had baseline blood tests to rule out other conditions - to look at thyroid function, blood sugar, etc?

As Salad says - do think about HRT - there is no need to suffer these symptoms. Provided you are not medically contra-indicated this is the recommended treatment when symptoms become unbearable ( or even before) and is definitely advised for women who reach menopause before the average age of 51-52.

In addition to CLKD's advice - also give your diet and overhaul if necessary and aim to maintain BMI within normal levels - will also stand you in good stead as you enter this phase of your life.

Hope this helps :)

Huridty x

Wannabewell

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:21:45 PM »

:welcomemm:

You've come to the right place Wannabewell  :)
Lots of information about your symptoms in the threads so have a read.
Sounds like you're definitely peri/menopausal- HRT can be a lifesaver so don't rule it out but you do need a supportive GP to help you through.

Thanks Salad,
I'm gonna have a good read around, definitely look into HRT too, though not sure if I'd be able to have it as I have Microvascular Angina.

Wannabewell

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »

Oh Join the Club!  Your GP needs a  :kick:  No one is ever too young, some girls have 1/2 periods then stop, some ladies go into peri with intermittent bleeds as early as 30 ......... have a look-see at the Daisy web-site for more on that, then maybe tell your GP?

Nausea can be due to the body being hungry.  I was advised by Dr K Dalton (see current thread ;-) ) to eat every 3 hours, even through the night.  To stop that awful drop and lurch when the gut needs feeding.  I have safe foods to carry: bananas, dried fruits and nuts, Dextrose tablets advised by profession walkers/cyclists, energy bars ......... to eat B4 my body is hungry  ;) which isn't always easy as when not hungry, I forget !  ::)

Try to eat a couple of biscuits B4 getting out of bed?  Cut back on alcohol and ciggies.  If you can, exercise several times a week as this helps stave off osteoporosis.

Browse round, make notes !

Hi CLKD,

Thanks for the tips and good snack ideas regarding nausea, that's really helpful.

I'm gonna take my time and look around the forum.

Glad to be here.

Wannabewell

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »

Hi Wannabewell

:welcomemm: from me too!

Maybe your ME is actually due to hormones - which have profound effects on women's health and well-being and some women have insufficient oestrogen ( and maybe testosterone) for years - even before being peri-menopausal - which could lead to tiredness, depression lethargy etc?

This is why these diagnoses can sometimes be unhelpful because the docs may then put you in a box and as you say - attribute everything to that without actually considering a hormonal explanation. I agree your doc needs a boot for not considering menopause. You are at a very typical age for peri-menopause and the Daisy Network is not for you - this is generally for women with POI ie under the age of 40 although premature menopause ( ie complete cessation of periods) before age 45 counts as premature menopause. This is the right place for you in your position!

Have you had baseline blood tests to rule out other conditions - to look at thyroid function, blood sugar, etc?

As Salad says - do think about HRT - there is no need to suffer these symptoms. Provided you are not medically contra-indicated this is the recommended treatment when symptoms become unbearable ( or even before) and is definitely advised for women who reach menopause before the average age of 51-52.

In addition to CLKD's advice - also give your diet and overhaul if necessary and aim to maintain BMI within normal levels - will also stand you in good stead as you enter this phase of your life.

Hope this helps :)

Huridty x

Hi Hurdity,

I'm convinced that gynaecological issues (including Adenomyosis) and hormones are affecting the symptoms of ME.  I can tell a difference in some of the symptoms and how they come on.

The peri symptoms are tending to be strong too.  I have experienced terrible night sweats.

I've had thyroid checked by endocrinologist and he said it's borderline hypo, needs monitoring.  Not treatable yet.

Thanks for the tips..appreciated.

I'm pretty much OK re: BMI, though I get terrible bloating with the Adenomyosis.

Wannabewell

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »

Hi Wannabewell, welcome!

There are a few of us on here with the diagnosis of ME, in fact there's a thread running now started be Desperatedee called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which you might find interesting.

I'm convinced mine is hormone led as I believe I've had it since puberty kicked in aged 10, that's when I felt everything changed.  Peri then made everything much worse.  That's just me though.

Definitely worth getting this getting like thyroid, iron, ferritin, b12 and vit d checked to see how your levels are.

S x

S x

Hi Sparkle,

Thanks for the suggestion of the thread, I'll have a look at that.

Yeah, I'm wondering just how much hormones are impacting ME.  I have a Microvascular Angina too, cardiologist said it may resolve after menopause.

Thanks for the tips re: bloods.  I've recently had all of those checked, get results at next appointment.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »

Hi again

If you are borderline hypo - this could account for some of your symptoms depending on what your actual readings are. It's like everything else (including oestrogen levels) there is no absolute level/range at which everyone is OK and outside the range you are not - it is a continuous scale and the cut off point has to be put somewhere. Some people experience symptoms within the "normal" range. I would push for further investigation and possible treatment. Maybe you have been running low for years? I am not a thyroid expert - countrybumpkin is the one for you (used to work as an adviser for thyroid charity) and also Wrensong knows a lot too.

Hurdity x

Wannabewell

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:32:29 PM »

That's interesting Wannabewell, is that aggravated by hormones?  I think the constantly fluctuating hormones in peri is what makes everything worse.

S x

Yeah,

My cardiologist said that the Microvascular Angina is made worse by oestrogen.  Yeah, peri seems to impact on lots of things.

Wannabewell

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »

Hi again

If you are borderline hypo - this could account for some of your symptoms depending on what your actual readings are. It's like everything else (including oestrogen levels) there is no absolute level/range at which everyone is OK and outside the range you are not - it is a continuous scale and the cut off point has to be put somewhere. Some people experience symptoms within the "normal" range. I would push for further investigation and possible treatment. Maybe you have been running low for years? I am not a thyroid expert - countrybumpkin is the one for you (used to work as an adviser for thyroid charity) and also Wrensong knows a lot too.

Hurdity x

Oh, boy, I've been asking my GP about thyroid for years now, the endocrinologist too.  It was 6.4 when endocrinologist said I was borderline.  Since then it's fluctuated and at last reading was around 3.3. 

My GP just shakes his head and asks me which website I've been on! It's no laughing matter, though, when you've been so ill for so long.

I had pneumonia around 2 years ago too, this has had a huge impact on my health.

Life is tough at times.

Wannabewell x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 01:50:04 PM »

Heavens - if my TSH had been that high (6.4) I would have demanded treatment - that is defo outside the "normal" range. If it is fluctuating up and down and has done for years - this could be the explanation for you ME - ie it is thyroid malfunction.  It is such a pity that thyroid function and its effect on women is not recognised sufficiently from what I gather ( I have a friend who has suffered and was given the diagnosis of fibromyalgia when it was in fact thyroid problems - in her case conversion from T4 to T3). She still gets the symptoms when the dose isn't quite right but she was really quite ill and had to go privately to get a proper diagnosis and treatment ( with Armour thyroid) that she needed.

I would go to a different doc. Yours is doing you a disservice by labelling you with ME and saying it's that, and shaking his head ( how dare he?) when it sounds to be like you need some hormonal treatment!!

I hope someone else comments on this thread ( one of the thyroid experts) but if not maybe pose a question on the main board with a different title - and please go back to your doc!

Also you could go to thyroid.co.uk or similar - not sure of the exact address - they have a forum too and you could ask re your (TSH) readings and menopause on there?

Hurdity x