Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie here....  (Read 1145 times)

Vieja Bruja

Newbie here....
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »

Hi, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and have finally got time to sit down and introduce myself.

I'm 48 and peri-menopausal, I've had a range of 'manageable' symptoms for about a year but the hot and sleepless nights are causing the most problems.  As I am still on the pill the doc was reluctant to start me on HRT and suggested Fluoxetine (20mg) so I've been taking that for about a month but I'm still waking during the night and have terrible hot flushes until about lunchtime.  I have doubled my dose of fluoxetine from today (as directed by the doc) so I'm hoping that this starts to make a difference and that I can finally get a proper kip and not start yawning at 1pm every day !

Its nice to have a place to come and read about other people's experiences and learn how to manage my symptoms.

x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie here....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »

Some ADs certainly can ease hot flushes.  It can take 4-6 months to notice benefit sometimes  ::)

Browse round.   :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »

Hi Vieja Bruja

:welcomemm: - I love your name! I knew the vieja so looked up the bruja  ::)

But nooooooooo!!! Your doctor should not have prescribed you Fluoxetine for menopausal symptoms! Aaaagghhh!!! Sorry Vieja - it just is so frustrating to keep coming across this from GPs! And doubling the dose too!!!

Unless there is a medical reason why you should not take HRT, then HRT ( or the CCP if you are young) is the first line of treatment for menopause according to the 2015 NICE Guidelines, not anti-depressants! No wonder you are still suffering. In any case if you were unable to take HRT that's not the best one anyway (for flushes and sweats) according to a paper I've just looked at....

I am wondering what sort of pill you are on and maybe it's the mini pill as you are getting night sweats? If so it is probably the decrease in oestrogen causing your symptoms. 

As CLKD says - have a look at the information on this site and specifically on the menus - Pale Green Banner above and read up as much as you can. Then hopefully you can replace the Fluoxetine with HRT or the PIll ( if you are medically fit to do so) asap.

All the gynaecologists are recommending HRT - and there are also lots of other websites eg My Menopause Doctor (Louise Newsome) https://menopausedoctor.co.uk/ and you can follow menopause matters and various menopause  societies on Twitter for the most up to date information.

Please read up and go back to your doctor (preferably a different one in the practice so that you can get some appropriate treatment for your needs.

Let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

Thanks so much for the advice, I'm back to the docs at the end of the month so will do some reading and go armed with info !

I'm currently on Cerazette, have been for a while, I was on the implant but I bled far to often so I had that removed (very traumatic, took about 25 minutes) and I tried to have the coil fitted but because I've never had a natural birth (I had a C section 25 years ago) my cervix didn't want to know and I was in agony, so that was the end of that.  I'm considering coming off the pill which leaves me no choice but to use condoms. 

Hopefully I'll be able to get the symptoms under control and I can start to feel a bit better.

Thanks again x