Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: side effects of nitrofurantoin - body aches/pains  (Read 7590 times)

Katejo

side effects of nitrofurantoin - body aches/pains
« on: August 13, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »

I have virtually finished a 7 day course of the above which was given to me by an out of hours doctor a week ago. i read the expected side effects which I got fairly mildly but i also got severe aching muscles which have been worse in the past couple of days. I only went to see him because i was just about to go on a short break to Berlin and didn't have time to see my regular practice. I always get UTI's just as I am due to go on holiday!

I am cautiously optimistic that the infection has cleared but won't know for a few days. Have any of you had the above side effect? It isn't on the official list of side effects but googling find plenty of people who did suffer. How long did it take to clear up?

Fee

Re: side effects of nitrofurantoin - body aches/pains
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:14:16 PM »

Like you for some odd reason I always get a UTI before going on holiday, is it the stress do you think?  I had a UTI last month and my dr prescribed Nitrofurantoin, I have already had 3 prescriptions for infections this year alone.  I can only take the slow release (50g) ones which means taking 4 tablets a day  for 5 days (the 2 a day ones 100g upset my stomach so much).  You deserve a medal for being able to take them for 7 days!

I too suffered with aching joints and generally felt tired and worn out but on stopping the tablets the symptoms disappeared.  Thankfully I am back from holiday and everything seems to have settled down again......until my next short break in September.

I have a great dr who prescribes me an emergency 5 day prescription and I pack them in my suitcase whenever I go away.

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »

Like you for some odd reason I always get a UTI before going on holiday, is it the stress do you think?  I had a UTI last month and my dr prescribed Nitrofurantoin, I have already had 3 prescriptions for infections this year alone.  I can only take the slow release (50g) ones which means taking 4 tablets a day  for 5 days (the 2 a day ones 100g upset my stomach so much).  You deserve a medal for being able to take them for 7 days!

I too suffered with aching joints and generally felt tired and worn out but on stopping the tablets the symptoms disappeared.  Thankfully I am back from holiday and everything seems to have settled down again......until my next short break in September.

I have a great dr who prescribes me an emergency 5 day prescription and I pack them in my suitcase whenever I go away.
The symptoms have been worse today just as I am due to finish it. It is definitely connected with holiday anxiety. It isn't that I am worried about the actual holiday but that I will get a UTI at the last moment without time to see a GP. I am also going away for a week in September and intend to ask the GP to give me a course (probably a 3 day trimethroprim) just to keep. On a previous occasion I managed to keep the course for 2 years without using it until it passed its use by date. Just having it makes me feel more under control.
I managed to go on my Berlin trip but was so tired and aching in the evenings. I do have a problem with aching calves and feet anyway but it was much worse than usual.
I didn't want 7 days. i expected  5 or possibly 3.

When in September will you be away? for me it will be the 9th to 17th.

I had a trimethroprim back in May just before going away. it worked for the holiday but I got a call from the gP while away to say that I needed another one (following analysis). I didn't have any symptom then but they crept back over the next week just as I was going away to a work conference.

Fee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »

If you still have the symptoms once the course is finished can you take a sample of urine to your surgery and get the practice nurse to dip the sample for you or better still send it off to the lab for testing?   A break from the antibiotics is maybe what your body needs right now, they are very strong tablets.   I hope next week is better for you, keep me posted.

I do suffer from anxiety and it's exactly as you described it.  I'm determined not to let the menopause symptoms dictate my lifestyle especially now I have just retired from work.  Thankfully I have a great female doctor who recommended this site to me many years ago.

I am off on 20th September for 10 days France to visit my daughter and grandchildren, we visit twice a year but it's a 12 hour journey just to get there. We fly from Scotland to Lyon then have a 3 hour bus journey so it's a bit of a trek.  Unfortunately it's not really a holiday, we will spend a lot of time tidying up the house and garden for the winter and sorting out her log store but I will enjoy spending time with the little ones.  I will. As usual, be packing some spare antibiotics, my estrodil patches and of course my Vagifem and anything else I can take "just in case"

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 08:14:09 PM »

If you still have the symptoms once the course is finished can you take a sample of urine to your surgery and get the practice nurse to dip the sample for you or better still send it off to the lab for testing?   A break from the antibiotics is maybe what your body needs right now, they are very strong tablets.   I hope next week is better for you, keep me posted.

I do suffer from anxiety and it's exactly as you described it.  I'm determined not to let the menopause symptoms dictate my lifestyle especially now I have just retired from work.  Thankfully I have a great female doctor who recommended this site to me many years ago.

I am off on 20th September for 10 days France to visit my daughter and grandchildren, we visit twice a year but it's a 12 hour journey just to get there. We fly from Scotland to Lyon then have a 3 hour bus journey so it's a bit of a trek.  Unfortunately it's not really a holiday, we will spend a lot of time tidying up the house and garden for the winter and sorting out her log store but I will enjoy spending time with the little ones.  I will. As usual, be packing some spare antibiotics, my estrodil patches and of course my Vagifem and anything else I can take "just in case"
I haven't got any UTI symptoms now so hope this will continue. When I saw the out of hours doctor a week ago, I asked about getting an analysis done. He told me to go to my regular GP the next morning and ask to end a sample away. I doubted that reception would allow that but he insisted that I didn't need to see another GP. I went to the health centre and asked. I was right. The receptionist refused without me seeing another doctor! I walked out.
I will hopefully take a rest from AB this week but will try to get an appointment next week. I also use Estriol cream and take D-Mannose too (though I am not yet convinced of its benefits).

Fee

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »

At our practice we have a triage nurse who will see you if there are no Drs appointments left for the day and send off a sample for analysis. Hopefully your symptoms will calm down once you are antibiotic free and your muscle aches should subside.

I tried D-Mannose too but it didn't seem to help me at all. 

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:13:55 PM »

At our practice we have a triage nurse who will see you if there are no Drs appointments left for the day and send off a sample for analysis. Hopefully your symptoms will calm down once you are antibiotic free and your muscle aches should subside.

I tried D-Mannose too but it didn't seem to help me at all.
  Still feeling a bit rough and my appetite isn't as usual. Am hoping for more improvement by tomorrow (24 hrs after taking last AB). Not sure whether UTI has actually cleared but will give it a couple of days until the other symptoms have cleared. Not sure whether my practice offers the triage nurse option. I much prefer to make appointments online to avoid questions from the receptionists but that doesn't include nurse appts.

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »

I (successfully) use D-mannose for UTIs - the trick for me is to load up with it at the first twinge (4 teaspoons, or equivalent in tablets, then another spoonful every hour for 4 hours).  I used to get horrible UTIs (passing blood clots, the works) about 3 or 4 times a year, but using D-mannose at the first sign has kept it away for about 8 years now!  It works for my daughter too.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »

I (successfully) use D-mannose for UTIs - the trick for me is to load up with it at the first twinge (4 teaspoons, or equivalent in tablets, then another spoonful every hour for 4 hours).  I used to get horrible UTIs (passing blood clots, the works) about 3 or 4 times a year, but using D-mannose at the first sign has kept it away for about 8 years now!  It works for my daughter too.
Do you take a lower maintenance dose when you have no symptoms? I mentioned it to a GP  recently and she had never heard of it. Next time I will try a higher dose to see if it helps. I am still undecided about its benefits.

Scampi

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »

I don't bother with a maintenance dose - I carry it round with me always (it's like a security blanket!), and keep up my fluid intake, but otherwise don't do anything maintenance-wise.  I work on the principle my body 'should' work properly without putting anything extra into it - if something goes awry I notice it and do something about it.  I'm a little wary of 'maintenance doses' of anything - I wonder about the possibility of becoming dependant on that dose, so making reaching a therapeutic level harder.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »

I don't bother with a maintenance dose - I carry it round with me always (it's like a security blanket!), and keep up my fluid intake, but otherwise don't do anything maintenance-wise.  I work on the principle my body 'should' work properly without putting anything extra into it - if something goes awry I notice it and do something about it.  I'm a little wary of 'maintenance doses' of anything - I wonder about the possibility of becoming dependant on that dose, so making reaching a therapeutic level harder.
  It might be worth me just taking it in the 2 weeks leading up to a holiday (as I get UTI's just as i am going away or while there so it stresses me out). Maybe i don't take a high enough dose when i actually feel a UTI starting. I will give it a bit longer to prove itself. The latest one does seem to have cleared up.

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »

Today my new GP agreed to give me a prescription for Trimethroprim to take on my holiday in September as a back up. Hopefully I won't need it. On a previous occasion I managed to keep 1 such  AB course for 2 years and never use it just because I had it to reduce anxiety. She also did a urine test today which appeared clear but she has sent it away for analysis as a precaution. I will also take my estriol when I go. perhaps I can relax a bit more and look forward to the trip now.

Fee

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »

Glad to hear you have emergency antibiotics, just knowing you have them will help you feel more relaxed and hopefully you won't have to put them to use.  Enjoy your trip.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »

Glad to hear you have emergency antibiotics, just knowing you have them will help you feel more relaxed and hopefully you won't have to put them to use.  Enjoy your trip.

Today I got an unexpected call from the pharmacist at my practice to say that my recent urine test still showed signs of infection and they were going to give me nitrofurantoin again! I explained that A) I am symptom free at the moment (except when I think about it!) and B) How would nitrofurantoin help this time if it didn't fully clear it last time?  I explained that I did have a prescription for Trimethroprim to take away with me next week as a back up.
She replied that perhaps the urine sample had still had traces of the original infection left which had since cleared and said that the Trimethroprim would probably be sufficient to take with me. That doesn't give me side effects or hasn't done so far.