Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Had enough no sleep  (Read 2267 times)

bladebabe

Had enough no sleep
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »

Any suggestions would be welcome. I don't sleep well at all 4 hours if  I'm lucky some nights. I'm off to Greece next week my nephew's wedding and worried that I'm going to have a rubbish holiday by being miserable because of lack of sleep any one else suffering like this.

Annie0710

Re: Had enough no sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »

When I was struggling someone mentioned to try Phenergan.... brilliant nights sleep on the nights I took it

Butterfly22

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 06:49:47 AM »

Me to, I'm really struggling I think it's been ten years since I may have slept through the night.
Magnesium helps a little I can tell when I don't have it I'm even more restless.

bladebabe

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »

im about 5 years in at the moment im not suffering with hot sweats or night sweats , i feel fine apart from aches n pains i have my off days its just this horrible no sleeping doing my head so wondering if its stopped for a wile im 55.

bladebabe

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »

thanks for your help

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »

Hi bladebabe

How are your periods doing? Have they stopped for at least 12 months so that you are now post-menopausal or are you still getting them occasionally? Great that you are not suffering sweats or flushes - maybe you take medication which can suppress these? Aches and pains are a menopausal symptom and if you are not contra-indicated - can be relieved by HRT.

Other than that have you tried the usual sleep-training routines re screens etc and relaxing before bedtime, reducing caffeine and alcohol and increasing exercise?

Hurdity x

Peroxideblader

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »

I feel for you I'm 4 years into peri and not slept before 4am in all those years...it's completely destroyed my life and tried everything..only thing I have is zopiclone which I only get prescribed enough to have a better sleep every 4th night even then it's not that good...I'm not able to fall asleep though which seems to be different to most sleep issues which are that women wake up early...it's a lonely horrid place in the dark hours let me know if you find a cure

Roseneath

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »

HI. I really sympathise. I had a bad bout of insomnia some months ago. I would advise having a chat with your GP and maybe getting some basic bloods done; even a mineral deficiency could impact on mood and sleep. For me it was anxiety and then I just got in a downward spiral of thinking I couldn't sleep. I did manage to get myself out of the cycle and for me the following worked....no caffeine after midday, replaced with camomile. Don't eat too late (alcohol dosn't help me too). I rejiged my room to make it more relaxing and different...bought a new cosy lamp from Ikea, painted the walls mushroom, new rug..changed the direction of my bed....not big things. Also do a Mindfullness App during the day (not at night) with tips for relaxing. But do go to the docs. I went on Nitrazapan for two weeks as my insomnia was severe but it did get me back into the sleep cycle. Write a plan and be proactive. It is hard to do if you are tired though.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »

Thanks roseneath but I've tried all you've said apart from alter my room but I've had this for 4 years and bloods done 2 weeks ago plus I paid privately for full thyroid check. All OK in fact the only blood test I haven't had is for hormones as my doctor says it's too unreliable whilst I'm still having periods.  It's as if a switch goes on at night and no matter how tired I am I literally can't fall asleep til 4am or later...I don't drink caffeine or alcohol anyway and you name it I've tried it. I've started hrt today in the last ditch attempt to help as I'm sure either I've got high adrenaline or cortisol at night preventing me from sleeping and apparently low hormone levels can give you high levels of both of them .