Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Insomnia caused by Elleste Duet  (Read 4039 times)

Pansypots

Insomnia caused by Elleste Duet
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:39 AM »

Hi, I've recently been changed from Cyclo progynover (which was great for me and my life sooo much better), to Elleste Duet as there seems to be a supply problem with the Cyclo. Everything was fine until I started on the progesterone (norethisterone), since then I've started suffering with chronic insomnia just as bad as it was before I started on HRT. I'm hoping things will settle back down when I go back to just the oestrogen tablets - for 16 days anyway. Has anyone had a similar problem and found any different brand of hrt that helps? Any suggestions? Can't see my gp for two weeks so I need to cope for a while.🙁 Thanks in advance.

Kathleen

Re: Insomnia caused by Elleste Duet
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »

Hello Pansypots and welcome to the forum.

I am not one of the expert ladies unfortunately but I wanted to say hello and reassure you that someone will be along to advise you shortly.

Take care.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »

Hi Pansypots

:welcomemm:

Some women find that norethisterone gives side effects - but the general advice is to give each HRT 3 months to settle before changing so maybe things will improve?

If not there are plenty to choose from. Of the tablet HRT types Femoston is generally the best tolerated ( in terms of the progestogen) and it come in 1 mg and 2 mg oestrogen doses.

Hurdity x

Pansypots

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »

Thanks Hurdity

Still no sleep, but I have an appointment at my GP on this week see if he can advise. I'm willing to try it for three months (I've paid 17 quid for this prescription!😄) but I'm going to investigate the options. It's just so depressing after I got on so well from day 1 on the Cyclo. The Femoston has 10mg of the progesterone stuff in it - that seems a lot compared to others. Is that ok? I'm going to ask about it. I'm on holiday in three weeks and I can't face feeling like this when I'm supposed be relaxing and recharging🙁. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:29:41 AM by Pansypots »

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »

Hi again Pansypots - you can't compare progestogens of different types as they have different strengths in terms of binding affinities to the progesterone receptors in the uterus. The one in Femoston is very similar to our own progesterone so is the most "natural" in that sense. You would need 200 mg of actual progesterone for 12 days to do the same job. The truly artificial ones require much less.

Try to relax and look forward to your holiday - think about changing HRT types when you get back if the Elleste is not so good. I'm sure you will find that some of the issues melt away as soon as you are relaxing on holiday and maybe in the sun?

Hurdity x

Roseneath

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »

Hi Pansypots. I had a bout of chrinic insomnia so I really sympathise. It can be a vicious circle as you get some tired / stressed about sleeping / tired etc and hard to think clearly.  My GP put me on HRT (Ellestre Duet) but for me it was the wrong decision as it made it worse and also brought a whole lot of other symptoms. Looking back Anxiety was my real problem, maybe hormones played a part or maybe not.  Things turned around when I went to me GP. I took some sleeping tabs short term to get me back on track as I was going on holiday and super stressed I wouldn't sleep. Then on holiday I gradually came off them over about 2 weeks. I am off HRT but I do take proprananol (40mg once a day) for anxiety now. I am much calmer and sleep is back to normal. Everyone told me at the time that I would get better but I the time I never thought so. I would say don't be afraid to take sleeping tablets short term under doctors supervision as she was right; it did kick start my sleep patterns. Hugs.

Pansypots

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:29 AM »

Thanks Roseneath. I am beside myself today. I have an appointment with the GP later and I'm going to see what he comes up with. So far he's been great and I've certainly had a much better experience that a lot of ladies seem to have done. I can't take the Duet, I'm turning into a mad woman! My poor husband is taking a kicking on an hourly basis, I think he's glad to be at work. My anxiety levels are off the scale, I'm having suicidal thoughts and when I'm not doing those things I'm sitting in the corner crying. This stuff is evil. Tbh, if I can't change to something better I might as well not be on it. Just can't believe how different two meds can be. I started with40mg of propranolol when I first started on hrt to calm me down until the hrt had an effect, so I might ask if he can let have some again so I can at least enjoy my hols. 🌴🌞

Roseneath

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 07:08:59 AM »

I promise you that two weeks from now you will be in a better place. Someone told me that and at the time I couldn't belive them. Circle a date in your calendar 2 weeks off and just think;' that's done so just relax now and get through the day' . Loosen your jaw, take 6 big deep breaths, put a fake big smile on your face for 5 minutes, read a book your read as a kid or watch a feel good old fashioned movie. Proprananol was been good for me I think; put me mentally on more of an even keel.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »

Hi Pansypots - how did you get on? Such a pity you couldn't still get the Cyclo.... as it seemed to suit you. Betablockers and anti-depressants are no substitute for HRT so I hope you manage to find something that suits you. We are so much at the mercy of the pharmaceutical companies aren;t we with all these supply problems and products being discontinued. It is so frustrating!

I made some suggestions about dealing with anxiety on this thread:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36967.0.html

I hope you are feeling better and your husband is supporting you.

Hurdity x

Pansypots

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »

Thanks for your support ladies, it's helping a lot.

I went back to the GP and he's changed me the Femoston 2/10. Not sleeping hugely better but did get four hours kip on Saturday night. How long does it take to shake off The norethisterone? I think my husband is just relieved I'm not threatening him with knife any more (yes really 😳) !

GP has also given me a supply of propranolol (40mg) just in case I have a mental relapse when the dydogesterone kicks in when I'm on hols. Oh deep joy. So I guess I'm in a suck and see situation.🙁
I'll check out the anxiety thread see where that takes me.

I don't want much, I just want to sleep!😱
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:30:44 AM by Pansypots »

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »

Depending what stage in the HRT cycle you were at when you changed over - there is a withdrawal phase from any progestogen which causes pmt (and is worse with some progestogens) , and can last a few days into the second part of the pack. Hopefully you will feel better and sleep better soon! :)

Hurdity x