Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Perseid Meteor Shower - When & How to Watch It  (Read 5347 times)

Cazikins

Perseid Meteor Shower - When & How to Watch It
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »

I love a good look at the sky at night wherever I am in the world.

Meteor showers, shooting stars have fascinated me ever since I was small, & my Dad used to take me out in the garden at night & show me the plough etc. I just wish I could remember their names.

The annual meteor shower already began on July 17 but the astronomical display will peak on the night of August 12.

As many as 80 meteors an hour will dash across the starry sky and based on last years figures, this could even peak at 150 to 200 an hour.

What is the best time to watch the Perseids?
The meteor shower will peak in the morning hours between Saturday August 12 and Sunday August 13.

Stargazers living in the Northern Hemisphere will have the best view of the action, but those living south of the equator will still be able to catch a few glimpses.
It might take some time for the shower to build in intensity, but the meteors will begin to break out mid-to-late evening north of the equator. To the south, this will start around midnight.

This year could be a bit tricky because the moon will be three-quarters full during the peak, and its glow could somewhat impair the show.

But the moon will not fully rise until around 11pm on Saturday, giving viewers plenty of time to observe the dark skies.

Meteors will burst out from a single point in front of the Perseus constellation, five degrees east of the Double Cluster.
However once the appear, they will fly in every direction so there is no real need to search for their breakout point.

Remember that the meteors approach fast and enter the atmosphere at 133,200 mph (60 km/s).

The key to spotting the meteors is simply a bit of patience. Once you find a suitable location to watch them, it will take your eyes anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes to adjust to the darkness.

Bear in mind that areas without urban light pollution, such as the countryside, are the most optimal for clear dark skies.

Here is a link for details to the Perseid Meteor Shower which will be around this weekend. No blooming good tonight though as it is pouring with rain here at the moment but tomorrow night should be better.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/36953226

CaroleM

Re: Perseid Meteor Shower - When & How to Watch It
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:50:03 PM »

Wow.  I think a day/night camping trip on Dartmoor is on the cards.  It's our area of darkest skies.  Thank you for posting this.

Cazikins

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:23:37 PM »

Wow.  I think a day/night camping trip on Dartmoor is on the cards.  It's our area of darkest skies.  Thank you for posting this.

That sounds a great place to see it Brighteyes. I'm hoping my back garden will be good enough tomorrow night. I live in a small village but there will be street lights from the street & they don't go off till about 1am.

Cazi x

ellie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »

Got tonight planned, watching the athletes, having a nice soak in the bath.....then going down in the car and parking on the beach to ( hopefully ) watch the meteors .... So if you see someone in dressing gown and slippers on the beach, it's ME  ;D >:( >:( >:(

CaroleM

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »

Ellie, I love your style.

DH hopes it will be a beautifully clear night.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:40 PM »

It ain't. It is clouding up Big Time  :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »

We're going about 11.30 to try to see

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »

Himself may well go for a look-see if we are still awake  ::)

CaroleM

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:37:57 PM »

Dartmoor is out. Too much pain, so we are going out to the garden, look northwards over Dartmoor and hope to be part of something special. That direction gives us quite a decent area with a lack of urban light pollution.

CaroleM

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »

Off to wait for nature's amazing display from our back door. Coat and slippers on, hot drink in hand and camera at the ready.

Cazikins

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 11:30:15 PM »

Bloody clouds  >:( >:(.

No luck down south as too many clouds in a northerly direction.

There was a break overhead but I can't look up for any length of time, maybe I will have better luck tomorrow.

I hope some of you managed to see it.

Cazi x

CaroleM

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 12:38:03 AM »

Sadly too much pain stopped me spending as much time we had hope to spend shooting star watching. I tried some photos taken on my Tablet showed nothing. I hope someone comes up with lots of beautiful photos.

CaroleM

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »

Luckily Plymouth had clear skies, so hopefully someone living here saw and got photos, could they post them here?

dazned

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »

We went up to an old quarry at the back of us and we were rewarded with quite a few ,only stayed til about midnight as I'd got neck ache !   ::)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »

Anyone going out later?

We fell asleep  ::)