Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Continuous Utrogestan  (Read 4682 times)

Nula

Continuous Utrogestan
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:06:54 PM »

Hi ladies

Does anyone have any experience of being on Estrodot patch and continuous utrogestan (taking a pill every single day without break)? 

I've been trying to search the forum but can only find those who take it for a few days a month, or maybe 25 days, but not every day so wanted to see if anyone else did this and how they found it.

Thanks! 

Quandry

Re: Continuous Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »

Hi - Have you been prescribed it to take every day?
The two standard prescriptions are either 200mg for 10 days or 100mgs for 25 days I believe?
With the 25 day route you may have a very small bleed.

I've just been prescribed exactly the same - Estrodot patch and continuous utrogestan (for 25 days).  Haven't started it yet though. I'm currently on sequential (Elleste Duet).

Otes73

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »

Me!

I take it everyday. I've had a hysterectomy but got Endometriosis so my consultant said no need for a break. The first couple of weeks of taking it I was tired and kept needing a wee but after that I've been great with no side effects at all.

Hope that helps!
X

Nula

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »

Thanks ladies.  Yes, I've been prescribed to take 100mg every day.  I suffered migraines on Evorel and Femseven following diagnosis of POF (hence the switch to bio-identical) and consultant said to take every day so I don't have the ups and downs of coming off and on progesterone. 

Just wanted to check as when I got the prescription home and read the instructions they didn't say anything about taking it every day so I thought maybe I'd remembered incorrectly!!  It happens a lot these days!! 

Otes73

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »

Hope it works it for you, as I said the first couple of weeks I felt a bit rubbish but once I'd passed that I've been great since.

Nina

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:23:43 PM »

Yes I take it every day too. No problems, it keeps me very stable indeed and I wouldn't change it!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »

It also depends where you are in menopause  - if you take it every day you will get bleeding at odd times if you are peri-menopausal - but depending whether you have actually reached menopause it could stop the bleeding altogether. It also depends to some extent on the oestrogen dose (how old are you?). If you are peri-menopausal then it is possibly better to stop for the 3 days to allow the bleed if you are on a higher dose? See how you get on and maybe adjust at a later date?.

Hurdity x

Nula

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
I'm 41 - diagnosed with ovarian failure at 39 so considered post-meno now I think, and I'm on 100mgs of Estradot.

Yep - will see how I go with this one.  Fingers, toes and everything else crossed!

Butterfly22

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »

Hi - Have you been prescribed it to take every day?
The two standard prescriptions are either 200mg for 10 days or 100mgs for 25 days I believe?
With the 25 day route you may have a very small bleed.

I've just been prescribed exactly the same - Estrodot patch and continuous utrogestan (for 25 days).  Haven't started it yet though. I'm currently on sequential (Elleste Duet).

Think I better check with doctor as I have 100mg and was told for 14 days,xx

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

I'm post-meno & was prescribed 100mg Utrogestan on a conti basis i.e. 28/28 rather than 25/28.  Now on my 3rd trial of Utro in the hope of finding the right dose of oestrogen to go with it to prevent side effects that meant I had to stop the previous 2 trials.  Like you, I'm also a migraineur, but have been lucky to have no episodes of classical migraine since post-meno (including whilst on HRT), though the ocular variant continued.  I hope you get on well with it, those it suits seem to be very pleased with the outcome.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
I'm 41 - diagnosed with ovarian failure at 39 so considered post-meno now I think, and I'm on 100mgs of Estradot.

Yep - will see how I go with this one.  Fingers, toes and everything else crossed!

I hope it works for you but don't be alarmed if you get sporadic bleeding as 100 mcg patch is quite a high dose of oestrogen. It works better when taken vaginally but I haven't come across anyone who is happy to take it like this all the time.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »

Think I better check with doctor as I have 100mg and was told for 14 days,xx

Yes! However it may well be OK for you but you would need to ask for an endometrial scan as you are being given less than the licensed dose of prog, and if you are on a high-ish dose of oestrogen - and especially if you are taking the utro orally.

Hurdity x

Butterfly22

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, I'm taking the Premarin 0.625mg, I'll check this out next time I'm at doctors xx