Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Change in HRT  (Read 4672 times)

Emeraldeyes1481

Change in HRT
« on: August 11, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »

Hi,

I was just wondering, I am 35 years old and have been taking Kliofem since 2013 and haven't had any major problems with it apart from gaining weight and struggling to lose it.

I went for my standard 6 month check up and saw a new doctor for my blood pressure and medication and my blood pressure was 150/90 so she would only give me a months prescription and advised I needed to come back after a week to get my blood pressure checked again.

I'd never had any issues with my blood pressure before and told her this but she was insistent, so I went back and, of course, it was normal. She said she had spoken to another doctor and they wanted me to try the patches Everol Conti patches, as the tablets im on and with my weight I had a much higher risk of getting a blood clot.

So ive been trying the patches and im struggling for them to stay on. Ive only tried them on my thigh as it says put them in a hair free place (which part of the body is actually hair free apart from the palms of your hands and your lips!!)

Has anyone tried them on the lower abdomen? I feel like this is going to be the best place for me, but it says under the waist, but I guess under your waist is under your belly button anyway so this should be ok right?

Also, I was told that because I'd had a total hysterectomy that I didn't need to take a HRT which had both Oestrogen AND progestogen, as the progestogen is only required if you haven't had a hysterectomy. The patches have both in and when looking into my old HRT these also had both in, so im a little confused, do you think I should bring this up in my next doctors appointment?

Im finding this all exhausting and a little emotional as I was 31 when I had the hysterectomy after suffering with severe pain for almost 10 years, and the hysterectomy was the last resort. 4 years later and im still suffering with the pains, but on top of that ive got to deal with the early menopause, I can only say that the only good thing that's come out of it is I don't have periods. I still get cervical smear letters through nearly twice a year even though I don't need them as I don't have anything there, which is a little frustrating and ive told them about it numerous times.

Sorry I seemed to have gone on a bit of a meltdown, but I don't really have anyone to talk to about it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:32:21 PM by Emeraldeyes1481 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Change in HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »

:welcomemm:   Many people have raised blood pressure in the Surgery: White Coat Syndrome:  ::).  My husband bought a home BP monitor on which I register nowt, clinically dead  ;D, but Himself would do his BP every morning at 7.30 B4 eating.  Jotted down his results and took to our GP every 3 months , no problems.

Maybe put the product name into the 'search' button on here and make notes of any comments. 

I don't have many hair-free areas on my body  ::).  I'm sure that someone taking HRT will be along but correctly, you require oestrogen and not progesterone as well.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:33:54 PM »

Did you have endometriosis before your hysterectomy? If not I can't think why you've been given the progesterone

I have used estradot patches, oestrogen only and very sticky and small.  I'm now using gel.

Wait to hear from others but unless there's something we're not aware of you should be on oestrogen only.  And then while you're switching to oestrogen only ask for estradot, can be stuck to thigh or bum cheek with no problems x

Emeraldeyes1481

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

Thanks for replying.

Luckily I don't have 'White Coat Syndrome' Ive spent my life in and out of doctors and hospital since I was a baby so im pretty comfortable around them.

I think it was just a one off, but it seemed enough to make the doctor want to change my HRT.

Ive looked into the new HRT as that's what eventually brought me to this lovely site, which im happy ive found!!

Emeraldeyes1481

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »

Hi Annie0710

I had slight Endometriosis but not enough for them to think that's what was causing my pain.

Thanks, I will ask at the doctors about Estradot.

Do you think that being on both could have any impact on my weight? or do you think its just an unfortunate side effect?
xx

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »

Can only think the combi patch was because of the endometriosis, but I do think you should query this.  If you do need both hormones & want to stay with the Evorel Conti, I always used these on buttocks & found they stuck well, though they do tend to "bleed" a bit around the edges & get stuck to underwear for the first 24 hours.  Sometimes the edges come unstuck slightly but nothing major.  Annie is right about the Estradot - they are tiny & stick very well.

Emeraldeyes1481

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »

Thanks for your advise Wrensong xx

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »

IM not sure about the weight.  I struggle too and I watched a gp on YouTube who is also on hrt and she said hrt doesn't cause weight gain

I had my hysterectomy at 32 and about 6 months later went on oestrogen hrt, I never had any weight issues until I got to about 45/6, I guess for me it was age.  I don't think I'll ever be that lovely size 8 ever again.  I struggle to keep in my 10s these days but with an unflattering figure (Tum, bum and thighs)

I think you need to push for this situation you're in with the progesterone to be either fully explained or rectified.  When I was on estradot I will add that in just over a year of being on it there was supply issues once, and I've read others saying it but luckily I always put my script in in enough time so didn't actually run out.  But they are brill for holidays if you still like to wear bikinis as they're so discreet stuck to the bum and don't peel.  Oily make up remover takes all the residue marks off the skin too so you don't look like a patchwork x

Emeraldeyes1481

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »

Thanks Annie0710,

I will speak to the doctor when I go next week.

Oh no, don't say that about the weight gaining in your 40's I cant have that to look forward to as well!! lol

xx

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »

Hi Emeraldeyes. I agree that its strange that you are on a conti HRT if you have had a hysterectomy. I take it that they removed your ovaries too? As for the pain. I had a hysterectomy due to prolapse and ever since I have had pain - not disabling but still uncomfortable - and I've been told that this is probably due to adhesions which are really common after pelvic surgery.

I use Evorel 50 patches and stick them on my buttock - they stick so firmly that I can't always get them off. Always put them on dry skin and hold them down firmly with the palm of your hand to activate the adhesive.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Emeraldeyes1481

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

Thanks Taz2

The pain is the same pain I had before the hysterectomy so I find it strange that it would be the same pain but now caused by adhesions, but thanks for your comments.

I had a total hysterectomy so they took everything away.

Im wondering then if I was to change to just Oestrogen my pains would reduce?? xx

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »

Don't panic about weight gain in your 40s!
I had my hysterectomy due to complete prolapse so kept my ovaries but they were not working properly because of the hysterectomy so were sprouting an egg probably once every few months.  That's probably why my weight was stable.  It seems around 45/6 the ovaries packed up for good hence the weight.  You're there now and it's said we need to eat less and move more to maintain the weight we had. My stomach just doesn't agree !
After my hysterectomy I developed pain , and they said it was nerve pain, they can't ever guarantee to not upset the nerves and this pain was right at the top of where they sealed off the vaginal canal and nerves send the signal of pain tenfold to the brain, I had this in my foot after an op where they accidentally put a staple through a nerve in the ankle joint and the feeling I had even with a sock on that side left a really weird sickly feeling.  They also said the tummy pain could've been IBS, but I didn't have it before the op x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »

Hi Emeraldeyes1481

:welcomemm: from me too.

Did the doctors say what was causing the pains because if you are still getting them after the hysterectomy there must be another cause surely and this must be treated if possible?

I agree about the patches - I use Estradot and stick them to my butt cheek as the others do with their patches - excellent place (as long as you don't wear thongs as they might rub off with continually taking down jeans and shorts!).

As you are so young I would want to be on a higher dose of oestrogen as you've had such a premature menopause due to your op - but if you do need progestogen (due to endo) then have you thought of a Mirena coil? Some of this gets absorbed systemically and might be sufficient to prevent growth of the endometriosis deposits - depending on where these were? Then you could add oestrogen to the level where you felt really good.

Re weight gain - I presume you've had blood tests to rule out thyroid problems?

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:40 PM »

I still wear thongs (!) and the estradot were no problem at all.  While not on holiday though I used to stick them on my outer thighs, the bum cheek was because I wear bikini bottoms abroad

Emeraldeyes1481

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »

Annie0710, ouch, that sounds like it was painful, and then to be left with a sickly feeling afterwards, I feel for you!!

I got tested to see if I had IBS, but ive never had problems in that area, and it came back normal, which is good.

Hurdity, thank you, lovely to get all these welcomes!!

Prior to the hysterectomy,  id been tested for bladder problems, had many ultrasounds scans, had a camera up the bottom (sorry) had 2-3 laparoscopic surgeries, removal of small amount of endometriosis which they said for the amount that was there wouldn't explain the amount of pain I was in, been on the Prostap injections for over a year, had a hysterectomy but they left 1 ovary in, then because I was still in pain they took it out a few months later. I had more explorative surgery a year later and my bowel had attached to the lining of my stomach, but luckily it didn't do any damage!! xx
Pages: [1] 2