Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: best regime to bring on a bleed  (Read 1204 times)

Petra

best regime to bring on a bleed
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:59 PM »

Kia ora from Aotearoa New Zealand. I recently underwent a day surgery procedure D&C plus hysteroscopy because of build up of the lining. Anyways, it all looks clear but I've been advised to switch from continuous (taking estrogen 1mg + progesterone 2.5 mg daily) to a regime whereby I have a bleed. Which is fine with me so long as they aren't going to take my HRT away!! (the other option on offer!) All these options involve continuous estrogen but cutting the progesterone and I just wondered if any of you are on any regimes to have a bleed like this and what might work. One suggestion was 3 monthly (3 months of estrogen only, and at the end of the 3 months take both for two weeks), the other one was six monthly, but I can't quite make sense of my notes actually (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off). Any ideas or directions to good sites that talk about the various options? Thanks!!

dazned

Re: best regime to bring on a bleed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »

Hello
Great that you have had the lining thickness checked out.
Many post Meno ladies choose to have a bleed,mainly to minimise taking the progesterone. I personally tried the 3 monthly regime whereby I used oestrogen only for 3 months then added progesterone for the last 12 days. This is usually advisable to have a yearly scan to keep a check on lining. I've not heard of anyone going 6 months without clearing the lining,I personally wouldn't risk that,especially if you may be susceptible to thickening. Others choose to have a bleed each month. Hope you find a solution that suits you soon.

Petra

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:31:38 AM »

Thanks so much for the reply @dazned. Really helpful to know other women are dealing with this side of things. Do you happen to know the best monthly regime? (I've started myself on the three monthly, so see how that goes.)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »

Not sure what you have in NZ Petra - there are lots of different types available. Depends whether you want to take a tablet or put a patch on or even use gel oestrogen ( with separate progesterone). There are plenty to choose from and also depends how well you tolerate the progestogen part of the HRT. Three monthly bleeds are less commonly prescribed due to endometrial thickening and because it means that higher doses are less feasible due to breakthrough bleeding. Also these long cycle regimes are really only suitable for those who are post-menopausal or very late peri-menopause because of the woman's own cycle coming into play along with the HRT.

Hurdity x