Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: For those regular/dedicated exercisers - a question....  (Read 3904 times)

Silly

Re: For those regular/dedicated exercisers - a question....
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 05:56:15 PM »

I feel better reading this, others feeling ill due to food or lack of something. Unless you hear of this you feel isolated.  Interestingly the gynaecologist said to give up cycling Weathergirl but no way I can't it's such a big part of my life getting on my bike ;D I told this though.

weathergirl

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »

Good for you Guinea Girl!  :peace: Really, who is anyone to tell you to stop?  It's all up to you to decide how much you want to do (physical activity) and what will work best with your LS and any other things that hamper you.  I feel  like if we really enjoy something and we know it's good for us, we should try to do it as long as possible.  As long as it works for you and you are happy, that's all that matters!   :)

Silly

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »

:bighug:

weathergirl

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »

CLKD be kind to yourself!   :) You certainly have lead an incredibly active life and you continue to do so with your gardening.  I love how your were so dedicated to your dogs and the regular long walks.  That warms my heart.   :scottie: I think it becomes more important to get enjoyment from whatever the activity is, rather than just to grind through a sweat session!  Something I definitely struggle with. LOL! 

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »

I hope I didn't sound negative by talking about dreading stopping HRT when this is exactly what you are trying to do weathergirl! However we are in such different positions so maybe I am justified in my dread! I was still having regular periods at your age and if after a year or so of stopping, it doesn't work out for you - well you can start again with no harm done. In my case being mid 60's - if I stop then it will be a fight to restart and not sure I would want to take the risk of whatever might happen to my arteries etc and then restarting ( esp as I have raised cholesterol). For me I want to continue now as long as is possible and as long as I am healthy ( and can stand the prog and the bleeds!). Also I'm not exactly feeling wonderful most of the time anyway (pretty tired...) - but I am assuming I will feel a whole lot worse if I stop HRT!

Hopefully all you are doing to your body - exercising well - will stand you in good stead and you will continue to feel great  - natural ageing aside. I don't know how you fit it all in! Remember though you are now only just at the natural average age of menopause - so any risks from taking HRT are only counted from this point onwards in terms of years - I'm sure you know this!

Hurdity x

Babyplum

• First Flush
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »

Hi there, weathergirl,

I'm also a regular exerciser who has found it takes much longer to recover now post-menopause.

What helps me is to focus almost more on the recovery than the exercise itself. So, to make sure I'm in bed by 10, that I turn all my phone and electronic stuff off at least an hour earlier, and that I eat a good mix of protein, carb and healthy fats, including a post-exercise snack like porridge or Fage and berries. I also use ZMA in the evenings, a supplement that seems to help with recovery.

I use an app called HRV4 Training to track my heart rate variability each morning - it's something athletes use and gives a good reading of readiness on any day to exercise. If you pay attention to the reading it gives you, you can avoid working out too hard when you're really not up for it and therefore avoid over-taxing yourself. Having said that, listening to what your body is saying and not pushing it seems to work just as well!

Hope that's helpful!

Scotdownunder

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »

I decided ta fifty to try and get fit for menopause. I was feeling good, but last year I volunteered to be the cyclist for a half ironman team, a small 90km bike ride. I hadn't been on a bike in years...was terrified when I started. The training left me exhausted, the anxiety and panic attacks got worse and while I did complete it I just knew it was suiting my body.

Advice was given that I should now try metabolic training by male PT..I tried it once and body hates it, took a week or three to recover. I have to work with my energy flows.

Consultant reckons yoga good at this time, dampens cortisol which squeezes out oestrogen. I try to limit really strenuous exercise but still weight train a couple of times a week. Also when cycling was advised to take whey protein after a ride to help muscles not send out so many stress hormones.

weathergirl

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »

Hurdity, no not at all!  You have always been extremely helpful and kind and I didn't see it as negative.  I just never like to wonder about the negatives, as before I started researching it last year, I hadn't heard a negative thing from anyone I know.  I think for someone like me (a worrier by nature), it is best to keep my mind in the here and now and not anticipate what 'might' happen as I get deeper into menopause.  But I can very much understand why you feel the way you do and you have every right to!  It's your body and you know how you feel and what works for you.  xxxxx

Babyplum , you are so right - proper recovery is HUGE. It is something I haven't been the best at.  I do eat well and use whey protein, amino acids and a few other supportive supplements.  But I need to get to sleep earlier and really stick to it.  I find that I sometimes ignore when my body is tired and sore and when I probably should be taking a day off exercise.  I've been doing it so long that I can usually tell within 10 minutes into a workout if my body is not ready for anything too strenuous.  I then modify, still get something done, and just make the best of it.  I always tell myself, SOME activity is better than none!  Thank you for your input!

Scotdownunder - I have heard nothing but positives, positives, positives about yoga.  I know several post-meno friends who do yoga and swear by how it restores their body and mind.  One is very committed and dedicated, the other does it more for a gentle stretching and strengthening type practice.  But both cannot comment enough how much it has helped them physically and mentally.  I've been looking up beginner yoga videos online and will be starting something soon.  I am going to begin going lighter on my weight training as well.  Thanks for your thoughts!  And wow KUDOS to you for completing that cycling in the half marathon! xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »

BUMP

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 06:29:58 AM »

Hi Weathergirl,

I'm post-meno (i believe, hard to know on HRT, but before HRT, didn't have a period for 15 months). I also went through it fairly young - I'm 49 - and not long after having a child.

I've been dedicated to exercise since I was about 29, but I have definitely noticed changes in how my body fares. I work out about 4 times a week - a range of HITT, strength and conditioning and boxing - but in order to do this I have to go to bed early and try to sleep (i have sleep issues), and build in lots of time to recover, rest and do yoga stretches. What I find is that my body aches a lot more - as you said - but yoga makes a big difference. I'm not massively into yoga, to be honest, but my body loves it and i feel a huge benefit. So, I would def look at building that in.

The type of exercise I do also differs from pre baby/menopause. Before I ran and worked out on gym machines. My muscle tone was good, I was thin. Now, I'm carrying about half a stone more weight than I'd like, but I'm actually in good shape and stronger than I've ever been. Strength work, resistence, metabolic training, and boxing has all made a difference. But I have to work much harder than I ever have.

I notice that there are days when my body feels literally done in. Then I don't exercise. Despite wanting to keep pushing, I listen to my body now, because I know it's a slippery slope if I do too much.

I'm not sure I answered the question!
Pages: 1 [2]