Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Man-o pause  (Read 2421 times)

peri

Man-o pause
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »

Discussion on This Morning re the man-o pause, did anyone see it?  Marion Gluck was on and was treating the guy as his hormones proved to be low.  His symptoms included low mood lack of energy and lack of libido - he was feeling much better after treatment!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:00:08 PM by peri »

walkingthedog

Re: Man-o pause
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »

I bet they find a cure for men !!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »

man-o-pause doesn't exist, it can't  ::) but if men have low hormone levels then of course, they should be listened to. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »

GPs should run a full blood count first!  Particularly for men that haven't been to the Surgery regularly.  Strangely enough mine attended lots in the first couple of years after retirement, like his body had been saving up stuff for when he had time to visit the GP  ::)

peri

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »

Yes Rockhopper this guy was low in testosterone and got the appropriate treatment (he had to go private though).  He was saying it was difficult to get it taken seriously and some women didn't understand.  Exactly the same sort of thing we go through when we hit menopause x

Beaker

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »

I have heard this referred to as andropause

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »

Yes it's a bit like menopause in women - who turn up with irregular periods at age 52 complaining amongst other things of anxiety and depression - and being fobbed off with anti-depressants. Docs need to be aware of the effect of low testosterone in men as well as menopausal symptoms in women  - ironic that decline in their (men's) dominant hormone isn't even recognised as causing problems unless it is manifested in low libido and the man ( or his partner) are bothered by it! As CLKD says - alarm bells should ring in their heads for men at a certain age and perhaps trigger a blood tests, as they should do for women (but are more likely to for women)  regardless of what they present with. The difficulty with men of course is that as far as I understand it (unless the info on the programme said otherwise) - there is no "-pause" in men in that testosterone levels decline gradually in life rather than at a particular point. Hence the lack of awareness - oh yes it could be testosterone. I can imagine if a man is not bothered by the lack of libido then may not mention it and I expect that is the only circumstance in which a blood tests might be carried out?

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »

I saw this yesterday, I don't remember him mentioning about libido although he may have preferred not to of course! His issues were fatigue, unexplained anger outbursts and irritability which he no longer has after taking testosterone prescribed by Marion Gluck.

I know of so many men who feel like this and I suspect they are much easier to treat than peri-menopausal women (who also are suffering from long-term gradual hormonal changes) as its simply testosterone replacement, but I also can't imagine GP's offering any blood tests or meds beyond anti-depressants. I suspect only private GPs will do this unless they have much more extreme symptoms.

ClumpyClaire

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »

I didn't watch it and I'm sure men...can go through this.  I do wish, that GP's (my GP) instead of saying..."you're a woman of a certain age" and "Have anti-depressants or self refer to Talking Therapies" TOOK my blood and measured the level of hormones in my system...then maybe I would of found out sooner I was on a collision course of menopause and dealt with it quicker and easier than the bloody crap I've had to deal with for the last eight years.

Oh and until my GP let slip that there is a Menopause Clinic...YEP, you heard it here. Based at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK. You need an NHS referral. I would still be walking round with my head in the clouds and feeling absolutely crap!

Aaaaan breathe  :)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »

My GP takes my BP every year.  I have an annual check up as do many people in our region.  I also step onto the scales but don't want to know  ;D