Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: FemSeven Sequi  (Read 1357 times)

Meno42

FemSeven Sequi
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »

Just joined the Forum so apologies if this post is not in the right section.

Does anyone have experience of FemSeven Sequi? Early menopause was diagnosed at 42. My GP put me on Femeston 1/10 which I was on for 3 months but found it was making me terribly bloated. I thought trying a patch would help but I just cannot get them to stick. I have gone through 7 weeks worth of patches in a fortnight.

I've also started with hot flushes, which I have never had even prior to starting HRT. Can anyone advise if I should keep persevering with the patches or should I go back to tablets? I have no idea what other options are available too.

My GP has been ok but did offer me anti-depressants which I don't need. He also said I will only be on HRT for around 9 months then he plans to take me off it as I "shouldn't rely on HRT". Is this correct??

I think there is a local menopause clinic and wondered if its worth asking for a referral.  And advice would be greatly appreciated

Taz2

Re: FemSeven Sequi
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:53:45 AM »

Hi Meno42. Nine months for HRT? Are you 42 at the moment because, if so, then the guidelines are that you need to be on HRT up to the  normal age of meno which is designated to be around the age of 50/51. I say "need" because oestrogen up to that age should be produced naturally and the small risks from HRT don't start until after that age. Oestrogen protects your heart and your bones so if you are without it at your age then you are putting your future health at risk.

How long ago did you stop the Femoston? It could be that as the FemSeven patches are not sticking then your oestrogen level has dropped and this will cause the hot flushes. The hormones are contained in the adhesive so if the patch is not firmly stuck to your skin the hormones wont be released.

Now to FemSeven. Although this is a good HRT for most women the saga of the non-sticking patches causes so many frustrations amongst us. It is important to follow the application directions to the letter - holding the patch firmly in place with a warm palm can make a difference. It can also depend on where you place the patch? Where do you try to stick yours? Quite a few of us have been in touch with the manufacturers but to no avail. They still insist there is no problem with the stickiness. I had to give up on them myself but found the progesterone in the alternative combined patch (Evorel) didn't agree with me.

You could also consider a gel for the oestrogen part and add in a separate progesterone. There are details in the  menu at the top of the screen of the different types of HRT. It is worth reading up and printing out anything you find helpful so that you can see your doc well armed  ;D

I think that a referral to a menopause clinic would be really helpful to you especially as our doc doesn't really seem to have a clue as to how long you should be on HRT!  :lol:

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

Re: FemSeven Sequi
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »

Hi Meno42

:welcomemm:

Great advice from Taz - and I'm shocked at your GP! Heavens above - managing without HRT?!! As Taz says that isn't the point - you should be on it - full stop!

Re the HRT preparation I would go for Taz's suggestion of separate oestrogen and progestogen because at your age it would be better really to be able to have a slightly higher dose if possible as that is what you would be having naturally had you not reached menopause.

Have you thought of a Mirena coil - which would give you contraception if you need it, as well as protecting the womb, and you could then add as much oestrogen as you need to feel good?

And yes - the doctor is quite wrong to offer you anti-depressants especially at your young age. These are most definitely NOT the first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms for those who are able to take HRT! Sounds like he is old school and uninformed.....

Yes to the menopause clinic as well :)

Hurdity x