Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: IUD's after Menopause  (Read 1567 times)

Gatordeni

IUD's after Menopause
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:51 AM »

In my early 20 's I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was an otherwise healthy female at 5 feet 2 inches and 130 pounds. I was put on the pill for so called hormones. In my 30's my weight kept creeping. We tried fertility drugs and after many months an exploratory lap show a blocked tube that they were unable to block. I never took more birth control pills as we wanted a family. By 45 I weighted about 250 and became a diabetic, a insulin resistant kind. Between 46-48 I went thru menopause. At age  59 and a year later I had some spotting. I was referred to a GYN for a colposcopy which they were unable to do in the office as my cervix would not open. Now at 61 and 300 pounds I had it done with anesthesia. They found a cyst and a fibroid from what I understand did a D & C left the cyst and fibroid. No cancer and placed a Mirena. I am currently 62 still between 290-300.

Did my PCOS cause my weight gain which in turn caused my diabetes? Is my PCOS why I need a Mirena? I am told I will keep the Mirena for 5+ years for hormonal replacement. Isn't this a little strange?  Does PCOS go away?

Taz2

Re: IUD's after Menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »

Hi Gatordeni - welcome to our lovely forum.

It seems that PCOS doesn't disappear with menopause. If you have PCOS then you are more likely to develop diabetes as it is linked to insulin resistance. You are also much more likely to gain weight and have problems losing it. I'm not sure about the role of progesterone post menopause for PCOS to be honest. It sounds as if you haven't been given much info about your condition but I've found this explanation of what PCOS actually is https://patient.info/health/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-leaflet  There are also tips here on managing your condition http://www.healthline.com/health/menopause/pcos-and-menopause#management4

I can't find anything about the role of progesterone in post-menopausal women with PCOS at the moment.

You'll find lost of help and friendship on here. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: IUD's after Menopause
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »

:welcomemm: