Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vagifem users  (Read 8934 times)

Defeated

Re: Vagifem users
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I'm seeing my GP in a week for a follow-up. Although I'll be on the maintenance dose by then, but I'll ask if I need to up it for a bit longer. Feeling very slightly better today and hoping it's the turning point. Feeling optimistic about the effects on my bladder and hopeful that these yucky feelings will pass soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »

Be warned though, your GP may not think it necessary to vary from what the leaflet suggests! whereas many ladies have found that they require Vagifem daily or on alternative nights etc..

dahliagirl

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »

I have seen some prescribing online instructions for local health authorities suggest using it daily for 2 weeks, then alternate days for 2 weeks, before the twice weekly.  That works out as 3/4 tablets per week.

(My prescription used to suggest doubling up as we had a GP that was keen on womens health - she was the one that prescribed hrt in the first place).

I ended up doing that because it stopped working as soon as I went on twice weekly.  I now used it every 3rd day (periods permitting).

My prescription used to say 'one or two twice weekly' which confused the pharmacists no end  ;D

Defeated

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »

So everyone / anyone still interested. SOME of the side,effects have subsided. I only feel nauseous every two or three days which is probably related to using Vagifem twice a week. The discharge situation is now almost hysterical - I could use extra large Tena and still be uncomfortable. However, on the positive side, my dryness and bladder issues are now improving. 👍

Gill34

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »

Hi Defeated

I had the same problems starting Ovestin cream, had full blown UTI, pain in pelvic region and burning,   only managed a week and had to stop. I'm hoping to give it another go but scared of it happening again. Please keep us updated with your progress.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »

Gill - you may have reaction to the fillers/coating of Ovestin - so ask your GP for Vagifem ASAP!  Was a urine sample sent away for testing as Vaginal Atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms! 

Defeated - you should not get any nausea with Vagifem as it is so localised, there is no uptake that should upset the gut.  However, hormonal upset can cause nausea generally.  As for the 'waterfall' ..... C my query in your other thread ;-).

I do find that may bladder gets a bit iffy the day after using Ovestin but it goes after 24 hours. 

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:40 PM »

PS - use the preparation at night so that it is more likely to be absorbed, if used in the morning then it will drain away without having any effect!

Hothothot

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »

Hi there Defeated,

I am perimenopausal and have been using vagifem for about a year, both alone, and in addition to sequential hrt. I haven't had any side effects from using it, although I did think it was making me really sore and causing me to bleed. This was when I stopped the sequential hrt. I finally realised that my painful symptoms were because my oestrogen levels had dropped far to low, and I actually had to significantly increase my vagifem! I'm now back on Oestrogel and Utrogestan, and need far less of the vagifem. As the others have said, it's definitely worth persevering with. My GP said I could double the dose if things were really bad, 'topping and tailing' as she described it! One vagifem high up, and another lower in the vagina. Apparently there used to be two doses available, but the higher dose was discontinued. When only using one, I found the most benefit overall from inserting them lower rather than higher.

I really hope you see an improvement soon.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »

It was 25mg I think then it was cut  :-[

Hurdity

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »

PS - use the preparation at night so that it is more likely to be absorbed, if used in the morning then it will drain away without having any effect!

This shouldn't be the case with Vagifem - it is a very small tablet and is designed to stick to the vagina where it stays and as  I understand gradually releases the estradiol over the time that it's there. I stick mine in any time of the day I remember - and when I am using vaginal utrogestan for example - I have to insert the Vagifem during the day!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:54 PM »

So everyone / anyone still interested. SOME of the side,effects have subsided. I only feel nauseous every two or three days which is probably related to using Vagifem twice a week. The discharge situation is now almost hysterical - I could use extra large Tena and still be uncomfortable. However, on the positive side, my dryness and bladder issues are now improving. 👍

Very strange to get such a large discharge I would have thought - although discharge in general is listed as a common side effect. Could it be an infection? Glad at least that your dryness is improving though!!

Hurdity x

Gill34

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »

I am very pleased to say that after seeing the GP yesterday I restarted using the Ovestin cream last night and so far so good. No signs of cystiis or UTI through the night or today like last time. What I have done differently which is what the GP advised is to use a vaginal moisturiser first which I applied at teatime (Replens) then applied the Ovestin at bedtime.

Keeping my fingers crossed that that I can get through the 2 week loading period with no problems.

dahliagirl

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »

So far so good  :)

JaneinPen

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »

Hi Defeated.  Only just saw your thread.  I had the odd UTI for a year or so then started with one mid December and none of the usual meds worked and it was constant until the GP decided to have my sample checked further at the news of March. They found a hard to treat bacteria and I ended up with a two week antibiotic course.  I was also put on Vagifem for the two weeks followed now by three times a week. I had a bladder scan (full and empty) and a cystoscopy and a flow test all of which were good. I am therefore thinking that the bacteria was definitely the main problem but that the Vagifem is working well for me too. The consultant also recommended decaffinated coffee which I introduced and really do feel that this has helped a lot. I still have my one cup of tea in the morning as didn't like the decaf versions available. I hope that you get the help you need to sort it out as it is very very miserable for us

Hurdity

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the update JaneinPen and glad to hear Vagifem is working for you :)

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]