Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Appointment with consultants for Gallblader removal  (Read 4813 times)

Smokey

Appointment with consultants for Gallblader removal
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »

I've got gallstones which have got gradually worse over the last coupe of years.  Had really bad pain in the centre of my back last week and managed to get appointment same morning no you didn't read it wrong it was the same morning doc confirmed the pai I had experienced was gallstones I had already been referred to hospital to have it out.

Now on low fat diet! I'm not sure about amount of fat I should be eating no advice given by doctors so I'm on my own their I guess. The doctor did however say I'd I got more pain that lasted more than five hours and got temperature and was sick I should call 911. That's panicked me as I'm going on holiday in October this year abroad, what should I eat that's not to fatty, it's in a five star hotel including food!

Anyone had similar experiences with gallstones? And had their Gallblader out any advice woulg be welcomed.

Ann x

dazned

Re: Appointment with consultants for Gallblader removal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »

I had my gall bladder out after experiencing excruciating pain which radiated around to my back ,about bra line. It had flared up a few times in the previous year but always calmed down after a couple of hours and it was always early hours of the morning. This time it didn't abate so I called NHS direct,after asking loads of questions the lady said she was sorry but she needed to send an ambulance 🚑 as it could be a heart attack !! Luckily it wasn't but they took me to A and E where they gave me morphine,an ultrasound ,kept me in and whipped it out next morning ! I've since read that sometimes Hrt can contribute to gall bladder issues. I now can't eat too much fatty foods or I do know about it but not always. Hospital just said eat what you like you know your own body and it will soon let you know ! Hope you get yours out soon.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:14:48 PM by dazned »

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »

The first attack I had we called the ambulance. They only took 10 minutes to arrive, but in that time the pain had subsided. I was embarrassed but they insisted I was checked out at hospital. My heart came through with flying colours, but they didn't test further. A month later it all started up with a vengeance and I saw snowdonia from the back window of an ambulance.

I had to go home early and see the GP. I was referred for an ultrasound scan, which confirmed I had gall stones. I had to wait 3 months to a consultant, by which time I had lost a lot of weight and felt generally unwell with lengthening attacks along the way. I was given pessaries to put up my rectum, which took the edge off the pain. Because I didn't have a high temperature etc., I didn't fit the profile for emergency surgery.

Cutting down fat did reduce attacks. The consultant told me that I shouldn't eat more than 2.5g fat per 100g serving. It would have been helpful to know what a low fat diet meant before! So I hope this helps you.

I haven't looked back, once I recuperated from the op and have no problems with healthy amounts of fat. Not sure I could face greasy fish and chips though, but I wouldn't want to anyway.

milly

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »

My daughter(34) had her gallbladder out yesterday afternoon, she was home by 7pm.

Today she has walked around the garden, eaten porridge, soup and toast.

3 weeks ago she had never had any pain at all, only had one bout, was scanned last week, gallbladder full of stones.

She is a lucky girl!