Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: meno or peri  (Read 1400 times)

Yammy1

meno or peri
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »

This is probably one of the stupidest questions ever posted on this site but here goes. how do you know if your in peri or meno or past it? I had hysterectomy 5 years ago (kept ovaries) and have no idea where I am. I read comments on this site about women saying they are in peri or meno or  over it and I was just wondering how they know.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:23:00 PM by Yammy1 »

Beaker

Re: meno or peri
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:32:17 PM »

Not a stupid question at all.  The menopause seems to be a bit of a mystery to many (including GP's!).

I understand perimenopause to be the build-up to the menopause.  Hormones fluctuate and symptoms start.  This period can last about 4 years or more.

The menopause literally means cessation of periods. 

However it is difficult for you as you have had a hysterectomy but kept your ovaries.  You might need to assess your symptoms and consult your GP - perhaps a blood test is the only way of telling??

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »

I was in your situation and initial blood results showed Peri, then when I was 48 and they did bloods again (to rule out thyroid etc ) it showed post meno

I've had to rely on the few blood tests as like you I have no womb

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »

Hi - no question is stupid! Blood tests can't definitively so whether you are post-menopausal because they vary so much because even when peri FSH levels sometimes go into the post-menopausal range. However as Annie0710 says, a blood test which showed raised FSH and also combined with age and symptoms would give you an indication that you are going through menopause, as you don't have a menstrual cycle to tell you. Sometimes hysterectomy causes ovaries to fail earlier than they would normally - so I understand.

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »

Thank you all for replying, I guess I'll ask doc to take some bloods next time I'm there and see where I'm at