Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: suggestions for skin please  (Read 2414 times)

jedigirl

suggestions for skin please
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »

Hi all,
Am suffering with particularly dry skin at the moment, its papery dry, flaky and sensitive, often sore. Does anyone know of a good supplement to take to help? Evening primrose? Fish oils?
Am on Hrt, Utrogestan and Estragel so are there any contraindications to be aware of?
Any advice I'd be grateful.
jedigirl xx

Suzi Q

Re: suggestions for skin please
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »

Im sorry I dont beleive in vitmins why pay ex amounts when you can eat them fresh.
But for dry skin Sorbolene its brilliant no nasty things in and it works.
Have you also tried old fashioned Nivea then one in the tin the real greacy one I use that a lot.
Wash with products that have no soap in. Get rid of the shower washes and bath stuff.
I use Goats soap which isnt soap and smells of nothing.
Otherwise take a trip to the GP and see if they can prescribe something to help
Good Luck x

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »

Hi Suziq,
 Nivea is my favourite face creme! I lash it on every night . I've tried the gp and have Epaderm to wash with which is fine. Just thought a supplement might help as i have a very busy job and often cant eat properly in the day. I'll have a look at Sorbolene thanks. xx

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

Avewno os great stuff , and even dermatologists recommend it. 😊

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »

Thanks, already use Aveeno oil in the bath.
Sparkle ,thanks, will keep off the Nivea a while but its all over really and use Nivea on my face only.
It was something to take that might work from the inside i was thinking of.
jg

matildamouse

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »

I use only argon oil on my face which works great.

Mav196

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »

Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion - it's the one with the navy lid (not the green one). I put it on after shower in morning and by the next morning my skin is still moisturised....it's really very good - no more scaly legs for me and my elbows no longer look "weird" according to my 12 yr old son !!

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »

I've always had dry, scaly skin and when I was younger, a tendency to eczema. Menopause has compounded the problem. Soap is a big 'no no' as it dries the skin as do normal shower and bath products. I like washing with Epaderm ointment and moisturising with Epaderm cream. However, they aren't cheap. Aqueous cream and emulsifying ointment are cheaper versions, but most contain SLS, which is an irritant for many people. However, when I wandered through a newly opened Poundstretcher, I saw they saw they sold aqueous cream without SLS, made by the usual company and considerably cheaper. So my shopping bill has been reduced! I moisturise my face with Clinique Red Solutions moisturiser, as I have Rosacea, which my skin seems to like. Again expensive, but with the non SLS aqueous cream, not so prohibitive.

As Suzi has said a good balanced diet should provide all the nutrients we need. However, many of us suffer from digestive issues, which means we cannot absorb nutrients so effectively from a diet or from any supplements. I'm seeing a nutritionist who has advised me on diet and good quality supplements appropriate for me in order to heal my gut. Part of that is a good quality vitamin E which is often recommended for skin. It's early days, but I do feel subtly better. I will carry on taking Vitamin D3 as I don't get enough sun, living in the UK and with fair skin that has to be protected.

jedigirl

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »

Thank you all,
Am starting a clean eating plan today as i have another four weeks before i go back to work so will see if that helps. Also upping my water intake and exercising so hopefully i'll see some benefits.
Am starting to realise how badly i look after myself. There is so much stress in my life i have a tendency to cope but that's it. I'm coping, surviving not living. I only realised last week. We went to Scotland for our family holiday and the night we arrived we walked down a little beach nearby. It was so peaceful and remote, the release just hit me like a wall. I sat down and cried away from everyone then went in the bath and cried more. We had a lovely week but already on returning i feel the stresses . There's really nothing i can do as it involves my daughters health problems but i am determined to look after my health better.
Thanks JG

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »

Having a self care program is essential. That means looking after you, making sure your needs are met. Dietary, rest etc., but also time for you. Doing something for yourself, whatever that may be. Having a long luxurious bath, going out with friends, reading, painting, singing, whatever floats your boat, in order to recharge. If you don't you will become ill, whether physically or emotionally eventually. It's not being selfish putting yourself first, as you are no good to anyone if you become ill. I don't know your circumstances, but do you have anyone to offload to when things are stressful?

jedigirl

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »

Thank you Juju for the lovely reply.
I do have a few little hobbies, painting, felting, reading but little time to do them and when my daughter is ill , no time at all.
I don't have anyone except my family to talk to and they worry so much already. I tell anyone outside the immediate family only 'need to know' things. I mostly use my motto 'just keep swimming' to keep me going  :) xx