Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Totally Exhausted  (Read 4385 times)

Maryjane

Re: Totally Exhausted
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 05:27:10 AM »

If don't return or drop when you stop iron pills , a colonoscopy is recommended to check all ok in there re anemia .

I see you have had a hysterectomy as this would also be checked as well if still had a womb.

Ferritin levels just don't get checked enough for exhaustion, very different to iron levels.

Yammy1

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:48 AM »

Thank you maryjane, doc will be keeping a close eye on levels,she was surprised I had the energy to walk around never mind function. Fingers crossed pills will sort things, I've decided to be as positive as I can that this is going to help.

Wagon

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »

Hi Just caught up with you last posts, I am so pleased you have the answer.
As I wrote earlier I had / have the same problem,  I am well into my second month on iron, I do have more energy although still very tired and I noticed last week when I wash my hair I no longer leave more than one or two hairs this is a massive improvement I did not realise my low ferritin was causing this. I have previously had the same problem but was only given a month's iron and told I would be fine this has not been the case so I hope your GP has arranged to have your Ferritins checked again? if not request rechecking in my case the low ferritin level 6.9 has been put down to mal absorption although no tests have been carried out. Wishing you well.

Yammy1

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »

Thank you wagon, how long does it take for iron to start working. Only 6days in hoping for some improvement soon. Also I seen to have a lot of heartburn the last few days, not sure if this is related.

Wagon

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »

Hi
It took a good six to eight weeks before I was not needing to sleep so much, but your absorption rate is probably better than mine as I have had many abdominal operations.  I am still tired but do have some energy,  ferrous sulphate has now reduced to one a day, and I look as if I have not slept for weeks so I have asked the surgery if the GP will do a blood form to see what the level of my ferritins are, hoping to collect the form on Monday if GP said yes. 
As for your heartburn yes it is related to ferrous sulphate but you should not take anti acid medication as the iron is affected by it. You could request Ferrous Fumarate which is supposed to be gentler so reducing the heartburn, I have not had experience of this only read about it so cannot say if it works or not, I gather dark chocolate is very beneficial unfortunately I'm not keen so have to have more milk chocolate :). Best Wishes.

Yammy1

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »

Ho, I got really bad with iron and had to stop. My stomach was extremely painful and my hiatus hermit started acting up, I was also very dizzy. Doc reckons it was too strong for me so I am starting spatone in the morning taken with vit c drink, because spatone is liquid doc hopes it will be much easier on my stomach, so fingers crossed x
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:14:12 PM by Yammy1 »
Pages: 1 [2]