Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mucus with streak of blood and I'm worried  (Read 2498 times)

jansheff

Mucus with streak of blood and I'm worried
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:19:48 AM »

Hi all. My last period began June 5th last year, they had been haywire for a couple of years before this, I'm 53. I've had nothing since, and my menopause signs have been really light, mild hot flushes for a month, then they'd go away, then come back, but nothing I couldn't cope with.

I'm not on HRT, or anything, never been on the pill. Nothing to have a hormonal effect.

This morning I got up, went to the loo and to my horror, when I wiped there was a streak of red blood in clear mucus, similar to what I used to get starting a period. I wiped again, there was a tiny string of a clot, then nothing. I have a tendency to anxiety and really don't want this to be a trigger to set me off on months of worry, I've been doing so well lately.

I now keep going to the loo, but there doesn't seem to be anything else at the moment. It can't be from sex or anything else that's caused an abrasion.

I don't want to go to the doctor and talk about one tiny streak, I've bothered them before with all sorts of daft things due to anxiety. Nor do I want to set off loads of scary tests and hospital visits, if it's just hormonal.

But I make it about 14 months since my last period, which means this shouldn't be happening, right? Help!!

Taz2

Re: Mucus with streak of blood and I'm worried
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »

Hi jansheff - welcome to the forum.

You are right in that any bleeding more than a year since your last period should be investigated and I can see you don't want the worry of consulting your doctor but I do feel it is important that you should. Lots of women on here have had a hormonal blip after being a year or so without a period and it has turned out to be just that - a blip - but it is better, in my opinion, to have it checked out.  Have you had any other symptoms that a period might be starting?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

jansheff

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:59:17 AM »

I can't think of anything, but the last couple of years before I stopped I never had the tender breasts or usual hormonal signs anyway. My imagination is feeling all sorts at the moment in the pelvic region and I feel a bit shaky, as I often did during a period, but that could well be anxiety. I've phoned the doctor and they can't get me in with until the middle of next week :-\ so I'll be worrying up till then. At least I'll know by then if it's happened again.

I keep telling myself that my body doesn't know it's 12 months and that must just be the cut off point the doctors use. It really was a tiny streak. My last smear test was clear (they all have been) 3 years ago and I'm not due another for 2 years.

EDITED TO ADD ... actually thinking back I had noticed that I've had a return of the 'egg white' mucus over the past few weeks/month that did go away at one time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:08:52 AM by jansheff »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »

It does sound like it could be a blip - sometimes the ovaries have one last go. It's good that you have got an appointment but sorry you have to wait. As you say at least you can see if it happens again.

Let us know how you get on. Have a good look around the site too - lots of info on here.

Taz x  :bighug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »

Try not to worry!  Nature has a way of throwing the oddity at us particularly where periods are concerned, it's The Change - does what it says on the tin  >:(  ::).  My periods waxed and waned.  I would go months without anything then a few like buses, would appear.  At least my period pain went.

Maybe keep a diary as to how you feel and the symptoms to take to your GP next week.  I had a polyp in my mid-30s which bled on contact which disappeared at peri, so perhaps a look-see would be wise.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »

Hi jansheff

:welcomemm:

Yes it is just the cut-off point doctors use - it is set on the conservative side to make sure that no-one will get missed who might have endometrial hyperplasia (a type of abnormal thickened lining) which can lead to cancer in a small number of cases if left unchecked to grow thicker - but as Taz said - it is usually a case of a hormonal blip. You will probably have to have investigations - but I would always welcome these - the chance to get checked out!

Do try not to worry!

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »

Hello jansheff and welcome to the forum.

I agree with the other ladies but this happened to a friend of mine and it turned out to be caused by the vaginal walls thinning and there was no treatment necessary. She does have minor vaginal atrophy due to the menopause but it doesn't cause her any problems. Hopefully this reassures you.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

jansheff

Re: Mucus with streak of blood and I'm worried - update
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »

Hi, thanks very much for all the replies.  I had my doctor appointment today and just thought I'd do a quick update.  It hadn't happened again,  so I felt a bit of a time waster when I got there, but she was really nice.  She said that after just over 14 months I was officially 'there' so welcome to the post menopause club!  She listened to my concerns about the slight bleed I had 10 days ago, but said that just a one off experience like that isn't cause for concern and doesn't require further investigation. She said it could be down to several things, hormonal blip, thinner skin of the walls 'inside' but nothing to worry about.  She said anything more serious would not stop, it would happen again and, of course, I should go back if it happened again.  She then went through symptoms of more serious things, such as weight loss, pelvic discomfort, change of bowel habit etc, and checked I was up to date with smear tests. So I can stop worrying and look forward to my holiday in a couple of weeks time.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 07:21:26 AM »

Good news then. I'm so glad you got it checked out. Enjoy your holiday 😊

Taz  :foryou: