Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Info about Womb scan please  (Read 1261 times)

Goosieloosie

Info about Womb scan please
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:57:22 PM »

How long after an HRT bleed ends should a womb scan be done? Will around a week be ok? And is this scan done vaginally or over the top of the tummy? Thanks

Taz2

Re: Info about Womb scan please
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »

Hi Goosieloosie - it is not necessary to wait for bleeding to stop. You can have even a transvaginal scan (inside the vagina) done while bleeding. Although it sounds gross I've found that it is dealt with professionally with no embarrassment. It is normal to have both inside and abdominal ultrasound scans done at the same time.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »

Hi Goosieloosie - it is not necessary to wait for bleeding to stop. You can have even a transvaginal scan (inside the vagina) done while bleeding. Although it sounds gross I've found that it is dealt with professionally with no embarrassment. It is normal to have both inside and abdominal ultrasound scans done at the same time.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x
Thank you Taz, My GP is trying to arrange it when my bleed has finished and we were trying to work this out today but due to convenience for myself about a week afterwards it may have to be & I was just wondering if this will be too long? x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:48:07 PM »

It really doesn't matter whether you are bleeding or not as far as I can see. I had to have one when I was in the middle of a particularly horrible period. I'm wondering whether your GP wants to see how thick your lining is after the bleed has finished?

Are you being investigated for post meno bleeding or for some other reason?

Taz x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »

It really doesn't matter whether you are bleeding or not as far as I can see. I had to have one when I was in the middle of a particularly horrible period. I'm wondering whether your GP wants to see how thick your lining is after the bleed has finished?

Are you being investigated for post meno bleeding or for some other reason?

Taz x
Oh yes I am sorry, I'm afraid I haven't explained fully, GP and myself both agreed I should have a scan to check how thick the lining of the womb is as I've been using utrogestan vaginally for 18 months & a lower dose than is recommended, that is why I need to have it done after a bleed & I wondered if a week after would be too long as the oestrogen would be building up again?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »

Oh I understand more now  ;D  The scan will be to detect any changes within the womb lining as well as the actual depth so I would think that a week after will be fine. They will be looking for a uniform depth of lining - problem areas show up as darker as far as I remember so any possible endometrial cancer would show up whether the lining is thin or thick?

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »

You need to do the scan as soon after the bleeding has stopped which will give an accurate measure as to whether the Utrogestan is doing its job properly.  I usually time it to go about 2 or 3 days after would  not like to have it during the bleed if not necessary. And yes it does build up very quickly, I once went 2 weeks into my cycle and it was already at 7mm and just after my bleed when I went the following time, it was down to around 4mm.