Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Numb hands - menopause symptom?  (Read 1765 times)

Tiredandforgetful

Numb hands - menopause symptom?
« on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »

Hi all,

I've been getttingnumb hands in the night, I wake up with them dead in the night or morning. My dr said it was carpal tunnel syndrome so I've had splints to sleep in, however the OT said it only affects the thumb and first two fingers. This was corroborated by the literature she gave. At first I didn't really pay attention to exactly which fingers were affected although I told her it felt like my whole hand. I now know that my little finger and that side of my hand go numb so my question is, does this have something to do with meno? Thanks

dahliagirl

Re: Numb hands - menopause symptom?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »

The nerve that supplies the little finger and the one next to it and that side of the hand is the ulnar nerve.  It is commonly damaged where it goes over the elbow (leaning on elbows all day at the computer can do it) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve

It can get trapped at various other places than the elbow, but that is the common weak point.  You might need to adjust posture round your neck and shoulder. (Things like yoga, pilates and alexander technique can help with posture).

If it is actually damaged, it hurts a lot though, I think.

Not a great deal of experience of this other than my husband has a problem with it.

Tiredandforgetful

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »

That's very informative, thank you dahliagirl. I probably don't have the best posture so that may be it I suppose. The OT gave me some exercises for the median (?) nerve so I'll have a look to see if there are ably for the ulna nerve 😊

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »

Hi, I saw this post and felt compelled to reply. 2  years ago I came off birth control and within a month I had numbness and tingling in the baby finger and adjoining finger of my left hand which then travelled to my right hand. They suspected trapped ulnar nerve at the time. I did exercises but nothing relieved it. Until a year later it just disappeared. I strongly believe it was hormonal and that I am very much on the road of peri menopause. I had to reply to you. I went to neurologist too and there was nothingin my elbows trapped so he suggested maybe in the neck. I hope this helps.

Tiredandforgetful

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »

Thanks desperatedee. I've had it for use over two years which would fit with the onset of my other symptoms. It's not the worst symptom to have (as long as there's nothing more sinister lurking), it's just nice to know what's causing it for piece in f mind really. I'm glad yours went away, hopefully mine will follow suit.