Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello and Help  (Read 1599 times)

GranSan

Hello and Help
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »

I was 35 years old when I was put on HRT for early menopause, Dr was insistent that because of my age my bone health would suffer.  10 years later, another Dr recommended that I tried the Mirena coil as my periods were really heavy and sore, and my mum had also been diagnosed with breast cancer - which she survived.  My coil was meant to be removed last year, but I put it off as had lots planned for my 50th.  Near the end of the year I started to suffer from really bad headaches, which I thought might've been something to do with the coil, but was assured that it had enough hormones to last at least another year.  I continued to feel worse, no control over my emotions, anxiety, mood swings and went back to Dr to ask to have the coil removed.  The Dr prescribed me Kliovance an HRT for post menopause, and sent me for a scan where they discovered cysts on both ovaries and fibroids.  I then had to have a hysteroscopy (last month) to remove the mirena, after which I bled continuously for 3 weeks - which the Dr said was unusual but not unheard of. 
Present day, I've had another 2 bleeds and am still not feeling any better emotionally.  The Dr ordered a blood test last week, and the practice nurse told me today that my tests came back normal!? So according to her I'm not yet at the menopause or she conceded that the kliovance could be making my blood tests normal.
So after 16 years on this rollercoaster I don't know where I am  >:(
Any advice will be appreciated, I have been reading this forum for a few years now but haven't posted until tonight, I even feel slightly better after typing it all out! ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello and Help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »

Did you enjoy your 50th?   :cake:

Maybe use the search box above and put the name of the product in to see what threads pop up?  It's probably your hormones having a final party  >:(.

Were the bleeds 'within normal limits' for you?  Sometimes they alter as we go into peri..  What did the GP ask for exactly?  It might be worthwhile asking for the result rather than being told it was 'normal'.  Hormonal tests are reliably un-reliable!

Browse round.  Make notes.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Gransan
I had a premature meno which started in my mid 30s, so can sympathise.
From what you are describing I am a bit confused.
How did they diagnose you as menopausal in your 30s?
What HRT were you on before the Mirena was fitted?
Once they fitted the Mirena, did you use oestrogen alongside as pills, patch or gel?
Did you use oestrogen at all alongside the Mirena.
If you are on  Kliovance, then the blood tests for hormone levels would come back as normal - the nurse should have known that. If you weren't on HRT then Your hormone levels would be very low if you are post meno.
The Mirena may have run out of progesterone and this may have caused the fibroids. For HRT purposes the Mirena should be changed every 4 years. 
You would probably do better coming off HRT for a break of at least 4 weeks to allow bleeding to settle and to see if you really need HRT now. If flushes return then perhaps have another Mirena fitted and use oestrogen as pills , patch or gel.
HRT is about benefits versus side effects and it doesn't suit everyone. If you've had oestrogen for the last 16 years, then provided you get enough calcium, vitamin d and magnesium in your diet and do regular weight baring exercise(brisk walks every day),   then your bones may be ok now.
A break from HRT is a good idea and you may find you feel better.
DG x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:00:59 PM »

Hi Gransan

Excellent advice from Dancinggirl. I too wondered how you were diagnosed? Were you still getting any periods at all?

You'll find lots of advice and friendship on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

GranSan

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »

Thanks for replying CLKD, Dancinggirl and Taz2.

In my 30's my periods were erratic, I was having night sweats, and other symptoms and they did blood tests and recommended HRT, I had 2 different ones over the 10 years and I know one of them was elleste.  Once the Mirena was fitted I didn't take any oestrogen.
I was thinking about stopping the kliovance, as to be honest it's like I don't know from one day to the next how I'll feel, the bleeding is very erratic and only lasts a day at a time, but is every 3/4 days.  I suppose I just feel drained most of the time  :-\
I will continue to look through the threads for information. Thanks for the advice.
CLKD I had a great birthday btw.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:45 AM »

GranSan
Oh dear!!! If you didn't have oestrogen alongside the Mirena then you may have still been producing some oestrogen yourself or you would have had problems with over thinning of your lining which could result in bleeding. If you were diagnosed as menopausal then it was very negligent of your doctor to fit the Mirena without checking your oestrogen levels and prescribing oestrogen alongside the Mirena 😖🤔😱.
As you were apparently ok for most of the time with the Merina I suspect your ovaries were still producing oestrogen and when you started getting headaches etc. this was when your hormone levels started to drop.
 When you were diagnosed as in Meno in your 30s, did they do proper investigations e.g. Look at your ovaries? Maybe the cysts were causing the fluctuations in hormones and you weren't truly menopausal?
It is normal to get erratic bleeding with a conti HRT like Kliovance and the progesterone can give more side effects when taken continuously.
I would still suggest you take a complete break for at least 4 weeks and if flushes etc emerge, request another blood test to measure the hormone levels and then perhaps either have another Mirena with some oestrogen as patch or gel or try a sequential HRT like Femoston 1/10 which will give you regular bleeding each month like a period. This way you can judge better if the progesterone suits you.
I would also request a bone scan to see if your density is ok as you have been oestrogen deficient.
You may find you feel better without HRT - it's trial and error. DG x